RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Flat Spins
Thread: Flat Spins
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
airframe

Total Props: 0
You'll need a IMAC airplane to do a flat spin, HA. I knew I would get you to build one eventually. My Goldberg Extra 300 does a great flat spin. Pattern aircraft won't do them because of the long tail.

You'll need the c of g towards the rear of its range and you need a very reliable running engine. The control throws do not need to be increased.

Okay lets go: Enter a spin normally and then after a few revolutions slowly reverse the aileron input. You should see the tail come down, the spin rate increase and the descent of the aircraft slow. That's it.

To exit, neutralize everything and hang on. Usually after 2 or 3 revolutions the aircraft will exit into a spiral dive. This is the nerve wracking part because your waiting for it to come out of the spin. Ok what do you do if it doesn't? Kick full down elevator in and come up on the engine. This should get airflow going over the stab and will result in getting the nose down. If that doesn't work you can try reversing the rudder but I don't think it will help.

I've only had one aircraft that didn't come out of a flat spin and that was because the engine quit and I couldn't get prop blast over the tail. The interesting thing about a flat spin is because the aircraft's descent is slow when it hits the ground the damage is less then you think. When my aircraft hit the ground it went into some long grass and there was no damage.

Variations: Once you enter the flat spin come up on the throttle and watch it really wind up. I think this is how they do a climbing flat spin. Also can be done inverted.

I like to get really high up then enter a flat spin, come up on the throttle and get the old guys at the field to count the number of revolutions. Makes for great discussions later on at Tim Hortons.

I'll show you how it's done at the GAF

No guts no glory

Mike
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.