RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Impoving Participation in a Nationals. Ideas Please!!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #94

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcIntyre
Understandable.

If the majority of competitors who voiced an interest in competing were in one general area of Canada, why would I choose to impose hardship on these competitors by hosting trials somewhere else in the country, especially of that location is difficult or expensive to reach, or has limited accomodations?

See you are thinking of it as a trials, forget trials for a minute.....put on a Nationals thats it no trials no thinking of trials etc those who win the top 3 spots are the team thats it. The National team should be the best from a National competition.....

I also dont agree with this financial hardship stuff, cmon if someone is willing to drop $8K to travel across the world they are willing to spend a few hundred to attend a Nats for the possibility of being on the team. I just travelled down east from Calgary for our team trials, and the category Nationals......now was this not stupid, two events back to back weekends that could have yeilded the same results and turned the Nats into a true Nats? Two others from out west travelled for the trials, if we did it from the Nats it would have been more of a Nats than it was. The round trip flight, and shipping of my models cost around $600. It costs 4 times that for a flight overseas with the extra charges for shipping.

Quote:
Also, specifically in scale competition, unless we are willing to accept FAI rules (which can impose some rather strict requirements), picking a team from the national champions would likely disqualify most aircraft used to win the nationals... Since 50% of your score in scale is based on the aircraft, you can see the dilemma
If they are going to compete at the Worlds then they need to follow FAI rules anyways? So you run a separate class for FAI just like pattern does. You dont want to go to the Worlds and follow FAI rules then fly a different class. I mean in pattern the top guys flying the Expert category are not eligable for the team, only those flying the FAI class. Why this could not work for other disciplines doesnt make sense to me.

I guess I see some of these reasons as excuses to continue along the same path rather than true obstacles that cannot be overcome.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.