RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - MAAC AGM Resolutions & Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #63
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
I guess my point is that the *expected* voting method was one that gave the members no real and/or meaningful power of vote at the AGM, so I don't see how the change to the proper method would adversly effect members, such that early notice would be a significant issue.
The adverse effect is that is it significantly easier for directors in Southern Ontario to go out and roust a few proxies than it is for ALberta, Atlantic and BC and Quebec. PARTICULARLY under short notice (no notice, really)
And actually - the old system ensured that the people charged with looking out for the best interests of the majority had the power to do so. AGM votes did not ALWAYS go as the board suggests ... the balance of power is VERY different.
The power - is at the local level where the membership selects their representatives, and lets them KNOW where they stand on the issues.

Quote:
My apologies, I still don't follow.
OK. I'll try and go really slow for you.

Item comes up for vote at the AGM.

A non-binding vote is taken where every member present carries one vote, and the board of directors is automatically given the proxy for each member in their zone who has not signed over an open or closed proxy (Just as AGM votes have been done for as long as I can remember)

The results of that non-binding vote are presented to the ACTUAL eligable voters - being members present and people carrying proxies) who are asked to pass or fail the resolution based on the outcome of the non-binding vote.

In effect, this would allow the AGM to transpire as the membership expected it to, and still meet the requirements of Corp. Canada.

Quote:
Remember that a proxy is granted to one person only, and that holder must exercise all the proxies he holds in the same way
Excuse my ignorance, but where does it say that the proxies must all be voted in the same way? Many directors - including a former constitution chair - have split their proxies on issues where the membership in their zone is split. (I have a fundimental problem with open proxies in any case)
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.