RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Princeton Jets Fall 2016, my return to jets
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
aquila
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeremy J

Total Props: 61
Princeton Jets Fall 2016, my return to jets

Ok so it's not really a return to jets for me, but it is my first time back at a Princeton fall event since 2013. I did make the spring event in 2015 but nothing in between with the exception of a couple jet days that were organized.

My how the events have changed. It was not the Princeton jet event I remember. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't better or worse, just different.

It was a small turnout this year, I believe there was myself, Dean W, Dwayne S, Len S, Bob W, Bruce B, Alan B, Sal S, Steve H, Ming, and of course Steve-o as pilots. Bart R was there of course along with the lovely wives of many of the previously mentioned.

There was a small but appreciative turnout of spectators come along and our resident picture taker Brad.

As always the guys were great. It was awesome seeing the old faces I haven't seen in a few years again as well as meeting a couple new ones.

So besides a smaller turnout what is different? Well, I have been going to Princeton Jets since 2000. I've watched the event grow, and now shrink a little. I have to admit, I miss the days when the majority of the pilots stayed at Canada's best value inn and we would have the parking lot parties which usually consisted of staying up and telling lies, flying vapors and other assorted micro planes in the parking lots or in the rooms. Definitely miss guys like John Vanderhage and Justin Sands for those shenanigans!

I also missed the gathering of most of the pilots the next morning for breakfast at Billy's. The waitress who's been there as long as I remember even told me to give Dean hell for not showing up for breakfast!

Now as the years rolled past, more and more guys got trailers and there ended up being a big social dinner at the field. Kev-o was often the organizer of those and huge orders of ribs were put up along with everyone joining in for a pot luck. There was a gathering around a propane fire pit at the alberta crew's trailers, but by that time I had already gone back into town to eat. I'm sure it was a great time out there at the trailers, but as I too get older, the more I realize how stupid it would be to have a number of drinks at the airport and then drive back to town.

I missed the Habu's this year. I am pretty sure the only habu there was mine. Alan B had the micro habu that appeared to succumb to a mishap on Friday. I always got a kick out of the mass habu launches though.

The other thing that has definitely changed is the airplanes. I've noticed at the last couple events I've attended that the day of the kit built airplanes is numbered. At this years event there were 3 boomerangs (2 elans and a sprint), A dolphin, a couple Comp ARF Tutors, a large T33, an Avante, a Bandit ARF, an Ultra Flash, PST Panther, JL Viperjet, Fei Bao Rafale, and the only 4 kit built airplanes were Bob W's BVM T33, and my 3 jets, a BVM Bobcat XL, JMP Firebird, and CAI Raptor. I think I probably had the only propane start engines there and I definitely had the only airstart engine there! (I'm stuck in the past dude!)

The reliability of the engines has certainly improved with only one flame out during flight that I saw and that was due to bubbles from a bad filter in a UAT.

The highlights for me besides seeing old friends and making new ones were a freshly paved runway, no more cracks, melting tar or weeds growing through the runway! Getting my CAI Raptor back in the air after a 5 year hiatus and getting my Firebird back in the air. The Bobcat flew awesome as usual with many comments made during my flights from the peanut gallery about my seeming inability to use the throttle stick, followed by gasps when I actually did pull it back, come on, it's a P70 in a bobcat, it's not that fast!

It was a pleasure meeting and sharing a ton of laughs with Duck Dynasty's obvious Canadian representative Dwayne Smith as well.

In short, it was definitely the smallest Princeton event I have ever attended, but it never disappoints. I had a wonderful time and I am looking forward to the next one. I've missed the people and missed the flying.

I think for the next one we need to do some more advanced planning, bring the habu's, plan a pot luck, and try to get some of the old usual suspects back up. How great would it be to see John VH, Justin S, Al Watson, Karl Hibbs, Roberto and Bill, Bob B all back up from washington and get more of the BC guys back out (in all fairness Paul D was coming until his trailer brakes shat themselves in hope).

Princeton is a great place to fly and with the runway repaved it doesn't get a heck of a lot better. Big thanks to those who organized it, can't wait for next year!!!

Jeremy
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.