RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - IMAC in the Maratimes - 2008
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #29
Carl Layden
RCC Contributor

I am: Carl Layden

Total Props: 0
S/A in NL

Paraphrasing from RAMZ original post; let's do something different, up the ante, have more fun and challenge ourselves.

Over the past few years with the help of a few modelers we have hosted the occasional Scale Aerobatics contest in NL. It met with moderate success (we had planes, pilots & held a contest). This past summer the intent was to try something different, try to get more pilots involved from across the province.

The first step was to make sure I had some help. Hosting a series of events is more than an individual effort, my co-conspirator was Jamie. This all started about 9 months before the contests. (about a year ago).

Next was a few emails and conversations with S/A chairman Bob Hudson. He provided a variety of material & advice. Keep it simple, focus on basic, encourage the ‘newbies’, make it fun!

From a logistics point of view 3 contests over the summer would work well. One on the west coast of Newfoundland, one central-ish and one east. For those that don’t know it’s approximately a 10 hour drive across the island. Spreading the contests across the island gave the best opportunity to reach the 100 MAAC members in the province. Three clubs stepped up to the plate and volunteered their flying site to host one of the events, Bay St. George Flyers http://www.bsgflyers.org/ ; Humber Valley R/C Flyers (NL); and the St. John’s R/C Flyers http://www.sjrcf.com .

Using various email lists from the clubs & individuals in the province we built a contact list of those folks interested in Scale Aerobatics. The three events were scheduled for June 16th, July 21st and Sept 1st. Theses dates were picked to try and avoid conflicts with other events in the province.

At this point we knew Where, When & Who was interested, that left a in the What & How.

Generally speaking responsibility was split in two, as CD(s) of the event the responsibility was have a contest. This included registration, trophies (plaques), information, hand-outs, pilot briefings, coaching, judges etc. The local club took responsibility of a canteen, providing the venue, promotion of the event, facilities, helpers, etc. All these were optional, the club could make it a big or small as they wanted, however the intent was to keep it low-key.

During the months prior to the contests we keep interest up with regular email including tips & tricks on trimming your aircraft, how to read aresti etc. Primers to the event included ideas like; a sim-contest using a projector & flight sim fly a contest; host a seminar on Scale-Aerobatics, and have a flying ‘clinic’. All these are good ideas IMO unfortunately neither one worked out for us.

Contest Day:
Our first contest was in Stephenville, you can read a report on the event in the August issue of MAC magazine. The format was a pilot’s briefing, reviewing the basics of S/A followed by a walk through of the basic sequence. Each pilot then flew the sequence a couple of times with the assistance of a “coach”, our coaches for the day were Bob Hudson & Ivan Kristensen. After everyone flew the sequence we took a break. After lunch we flew the judged rounds.

In this case the only class that was flown was basic, we had 9 registered pilots flying a variety of aircraft.

Suggestions:
- Provide a ‘trophy’ for 1st-3rd.
- Give each participants a “certificate of participation” (ie everyone goes home with something)
- Take lots of photos
- Report on the event and submit it to the MAC magazine
- Keep your ZD and the S/A chairman in the loop
- For a first time event keep it Scale Aerobatics don’t confuse things by trying to make it an IMAC event

Jeez, this post is getting looooonnnnnnggggggg.

Wrapping up, next year the club in Stephenville does plan to host another S/A event. Jamie and myself are considering hosting another in St. John’s too. The event in Stephenville would be close for the folks in NS & NB. It’s a great place to visit, excellent flying site, economical accommodations, and the best people in the world!

So let’s hear from some more modelers (especially Atlantic). Who wants to step up and be part of making S/A successful in the east? Let’s not let Ramz idea end here in the pages of an RCCanada forum.

Ramz I’ll help in anyway I can.

Carl

Golf : WHACK! F!
R/C Flying: F! WHACK!
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.