RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Foamies and the future......
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #43
cman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chuck B

Total Props: 18
Re: Foamies and the future......

if you want my thoughts and experience please read below if not skip to next post

I use to think ARF's and ARC's (remember those) were cheating and electric planes were not part of the hobbies, if I didn't build it and it wasn't a glider or a nitro plane it was cheating.

Then life got busy really busy, and I found that due to moves things got damaged lost or just needed a lot of time to get back into flying shape. add in the fact that I lived in a city with no real LHS. I was out of the hobby for a few years then picked up a magazine and saw some RTF electric plane, and thought wait if I buy this tonight I can fly tomorrow.. it will take me all weekend to get a nitro plane ready and I only feel comfortable flying at a club which I will have to find and join. So I drove 30 or 40 min to a hobby store and bought one.
charged the battery and flew the next morning, it was 3 channel and a trainer type but I was happy again. and I could fly in early mornings with no noise and be finished before the day starts for most people. I joined the local club paid my dues did volunteering met some good people but they did not like electric planes and i did not fly there much i think i managed to get my nitro trainer out there 4 times over 2 years.

Many years later and many jobs later, i went to the London BMO indoors and met some more people and had a good time and no one cared what i was flying weather i built ir or bought it assembled. Now i belong to a great club where no one seems to care if your flying electric nitro, arf, kit or scratch built, if your plane looks like a show piece or is covered in patches of covering from flight and transport incidents. as long as you follow the rules all is great. the RC hobby has never been more enjoyable for me, so much that i have spent my free time flying foam electric ARFs, my attitude certainly has changed i hope others also change. and realize as long as you enjoy flying it does not matter what you fly. fly safe respect others and have fun is that not what the flying part of the hobby is all about? To me the hobby has many parts to it, building, flying and hanging out and helping others. i build in my house not at the club, i fly and get help or help othes at the club. i think any plane that is brought to the club is cool and can usually pick up a tip from other flyers and receive a tip or 4 from other flyers

I also wonder if there is a difference between me buying a eflite BNF corsair that is foam, or if ia buy a top flight corsair from the classifieds here that just requires a receiver.. i did not build either plane but for some reason one will be frowned upon by some and the other will not be, but i did not build either.

Now i need to get to the basement and finish my field box as well as my Heer Mini Sport, and then.....

C
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.