RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Questions about little turbines? Reliability? Safety? Regs?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Mitch Cronin
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mitch Cronin
# of RCs: 7?

Total Props: 0
Thanks for the response Ron...

Your assertion that they're "safe", while admitting the only turbine failure you're aware of did indeed involve bits exiting the case seems curious... That these engines have only become so popular in recent years could mean that more and more of these kinds of catastrophic failures will be soon due.... Then again, perhaps the laws of gravity and the almost inevitable tendancy for model aircraft to eventually wind up in a ball in a field somewhere tends to take care of the more aged engines before they themselves break?

I've just now read the MAAC rules for Jet use... They don't seem to be concerned at all with uncontained failure...
"I will ensure all non-essential personnel remain 10 metres from the turbine engine model aircraft during the starting process." [emphasis added] ....seems that fire is their main focus...?

Can anyone point me to where I'd find the document referred to here: " 1. I will follow the Code of Practice for the Safe Operation of Model Gas Turbines, published by the Gas Turbine Builders Association, sections 1 through 8."?

Cheers,

Mitch
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.