RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Electricub power plant advice.
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
Electricub power plant advice.

I have an Electricub (newer kit) that is ready for covering and power plant. I'm not sure of which motor to go with.

Here's the specs from the box

Specifications
Stock Number: GPMA0156
Wing Span:58.8 in (1490 mm)
Wing Area: 472 sq in (30.4 dm2)
Wing Loading: 16-17 oz/sq ft (49-52 g/dm2)
Weight: 3.3-3.5 lb (1475-1590 g)
Fuselage Length: 37 in (940 mm)
Requires: 3-4 channel radio with 4 mini servos, ESC (30A min.), battery, charger & 2+ rolls of MonoKoteŽ

It's going to be finished in fabric and dope though, and I've d-tubed the wing (crudely, but it's stiff now), so I'm thinking I'm going to add an extra 1/2 pound.

What I'd like to have for a motor will need to meet the following criteria (I'm flexible if it makes sense)

1) must be brushless
2) I'd like to use my 3s 2480 Apogee packs (26A continuous discharge)
3) I want it to with enough reserve to ROG as well as ROW when I put floats on it.
4) I want to only use my bottle money to get the gear
5) 10 or 11 inch prop maximum (I think that's the largest clearance will allow)
ESC to be determined by the motor. This I'm going to pay for by singing songs at the liquor store!

I'm not looking for smoking hot here. I just want to be able to fly it around, and do some lazy airobatics. (kinda cublike flight envelope, with power to spare).

I'm currently looking at the E-flite 10 and 15 BL motors they have out now. Apparently these cubs fly well on 10 and 15 glows, so I'm assuming E-flite isn't lying with their comparison model #'s .

If anyone has any thoughts on the E-flite motors, it'd be appreciated.

BTW the reccommended power system for this is a 600 geared at 2.5:1 (brushed of course). I'm hoping to shave some weight and gain some performance by using the BL and the lipos, as the recommended system apparently is marginal.

Thanks in advance

Mike
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.