RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - radio question!
Thread: radio question!
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: radio question!

Yes, that is what I described in my first post. Since I have no specs on your plane I do not know what gear setup it has, but my recommendation was based on electric gear or those driven with a dedicated, custom purpose gear servo, such as a Hitec HS-75BB.

That type servo and electric gear retracts both work the same way, where they run to the end of travel each direction as soon as they see the servo signal flip one side or the other of center. Since travel is then part of the mechanical design you then have no need to worry about your travel adjustment on that channel. However, with flaps likely driven with a standard servo you would need to set end travel points to have the flaps move to where you want them. That's why I mentioned setting the travel for the flaps only.

The only problem is if one function operates opposite to what you want, for example if the flaps retract when the gear extends. In that case you will need the aforementioned reversing Y-connector.

As for the need for flaps, again, with no experience with the model I cannot make any recommendation. The need for flaps may come if the plane lands too fast for the field conditions of mechanical strength of the model itself. Flaps generally will slow a model down, but may also have an attendant pitch trim change. You should be able to mix an elevator deflection with gear function on the DX6i. Been quite a while since I played with one of those and it was setting up helis.

Also, one function may be required before the other.

On a final note, most normal ops have no flaps, (or a reduced angle) for takeoff and landing with much greater amount or full flaps. This is since on landing you want that extra lift. However, on takeoff this can get you into trouble by having the aircraft break ground before reaching adequate controllable flying speed.

Last edited by Cougar429; 03-10-2012 at 10:04 PM.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.