RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - 2.4 GHz for Giants
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #21

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTemp
Quote:
Please indicate testing you have performed (or someone else) to confirm this....
Quote:
Ok please explain how titanium gears will resolve a "gear lash" problem....How will titanium wear better than a case hardened material, like 8620, or 9310?
This isn't really rocket science kids. I'm not a metallurgist, but I am a physicist and I know how to observe.

I have a 35% Extra with 2 x 8611A servos in the tail. It is set up for IMAC throws with 130% servo travel (i.e. slop shouldn't be that evident).

I plug an elevator servo into a HITEC programmer and set it to oscillate around nuetral with a 1ms sweep (for the nerds, sorry... I 'm not going to find the key for micro on my computer... assume ms means microsecond). I measure how much the surface moves. The hingeing is very free and the weight of the elevator keeps it against the gears on the ground.

Then I set the programmer to hold position, grab said elevator, and move it back and forth against the gear slop. If this movement is more than the 1ms programmer movement, then there must be more than 1 ms of gear slop.

All this being said, this is WAY off topic and I don't wish to discuss it any more. Buy your own servos and figure it out for yourselves.
So what you are saying is you are "measuring" it by observation and feel....as a physicist you should know that is poor experimental practise (you could have at least used a ruler). You are then assuming that a Hitec programmer set to 1ms is going to provide a 1ms sweep on a JR servo. Have you actually measured this to be the case?

The day I get concerned about how much my gears are wearing and start playing with programmers in my basement is the day I quit making the finals in FAI at the US Nats
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.