RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Trex 500EFL Pro Build (flybarless)
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Tower
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeremy
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 39
Thumbs down Align 3GX setup and other stuff

Other than a missing washer (I lost) I was really pretty impressed with everything so far. The shine came off with the 3GX setup. I had heard everything is really simple and did not bother with watching YouTube videos or reading other how-tos - Mistake!

The Align manual translation is the usual mixed mess and typical of all their manuals when it comes to the electronic setup. Being new to flybarless and with a 3GX CD in hand I got myself in front of this computer. Error codes!

The software loaded very slowly and came up with the following code "an attempt was made to load a program with incorrect format (exception HRESULTx: blah blah....". Useless error code so I guessed and brought the helicopter upstairs and plugged it in (but did not power up the 3GX). No Luck. So - battery and transmitter time - plus I used one of the satellites receivers from another heli to use the 3GX instead of a 7000 series receiver. Powered up everything and drove servos hard to limits in opposite directions and the software finished installing. Lots of fun so far.

Now I have a heli and transmitter balanced on my desk attached to the computer with the world shortest USB cable (supplied). This was clearly not going to work so I grabbed the laptop, located a USB extender, and headed back to the basement. More room this time. I installed the software on the laptop with everything hooked up and guess what - the instructions come up on how to install the software and mount the unit (a bit late!)

Anyway - a few steps in through the setup you realize, despite the use of non-standard terms, that you are supposed to setup the radio manually and bypass the 3GX unit - Error Code "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you blah blah blah...". I can't even remember what caused that one But I do like (not) the message that came up before I restarted everything "Don't plug out the device, before close 3GX program".

So far I am just frustrated and not making much headway - YouTube beckons but I hang in.

Another 2 hours and I had her done. Essentially you have to connect everything as you would a normal setup (except for the receiver which you don't need if you are using the unit with satelites as your receiver), start the 3GX unit up in manual mode (bypass), and set the ccpm config, servo directions, swash gain, linkages, and pitch curves (they don't call them that), and then carefully step through the instructions (with their constantly changing fonts). At one step - elevator lim (e.lim) they neglect to tell you to move the stick to its max limit (they just tell you to move it) so unless you read this you will have to go back and redo that part. Throughout it all you will see Trex 700 signs pop up with trex 500 and 600 in the header.

The final screens are feedback and save functions. The instructions disappear and you are on your own for these steps - happy guessing. The sliders appear at one point indicating throws and surface positions - the screen was a jumbled mess but my best guess is everything is working.

In a word Yuk (two thumbs down) - see my recommendation below. I would write up a complete how to but I expect there is a video done somewhere (by someone other than Align) - that explains how to set it up. Go find it and save yourself a world of frustration. Also - you will need a USB extension, a work bench, and a computer that is out of the way to set this up.

All in all I am reminded of the first time I set up a Gyro (without help) - this is the same idea only more complex and made confusing by poor software and lack of clear instructions.

A note on the antirotation bracket - very cool, very solid, and if you have to take the head off you will either have to remove the anitrotation pin from the swash or take the bracket off - I chose the lesser of two evils (pic).

Blades - balanced perfectly - very nice.

Final Wiring - just okay - I wanted to put the 3GX unit where I could see the lights and indicators and have access to the bind plug (a very good idea I learned) and that means the top bracket location must be used. This leaves you very few options to hide and run wires. Additionally the ESC lead does not give you much extra and the ferroid coil ends up in a bad place, with no room to move, right against the main shaft. In retrospect I should have unwrapped and moved the coil elsewhere.

Canopy - cracked putting in one of the grommets. And I was careful! I have glassed around the crack and it is drying now.

Recommendations to Align - things that need to be fixed!

1) You are constantly dragging the world’s best heli pilots from North America to Taiwan to test and fly your products for YouTube. Perhaps you could get one of them to read your manuals, load your software, and help you improve them. There really is no need for the constant stream of mediocre manuals and now bad software to accompany high quality product. How about a how to video when you put the cd in !?! (Now I feel better - venting helps)

2) These new canopies are not the best - the 4 point pin system is hard to fit and if they are cracking before they are even put it on the heli for the first time the future is not bright. As an aside the little black eyelets that come with the 600 keep falling out - CA does not work well on them.

final assembly (once the washer arrives) and flight test coming up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3gx 1.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	123290   Click image for larger version

Name:	3gx 2.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	123291   Click image for larger version

Name:	3gx 3.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	123292   Click image for larger version

Name:	3gx 4.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	123293  

Name:	3gx 5.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	123294   Click image for larger version

Name:	3gx 6.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	123295   Click image for larger version

Name:	3gx 7.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	123296   Click image for larger version

Name:	3gx 9.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	123297  

Name:	3gx 10.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	123298  

Last edited by Tower; 10-24-2011 at 05:50 PM.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.