RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - TF Corsair Building Progress as of Feb 17 2008 (dry run)
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
Next update:

As is the case when building, changes are sometimes made. When they involve smaller pieces, they sometimes take a long time to get just right. Such is the case with the operational flaps.

I always intended to have them operational (rather than just glue them on). Nothing looks better than these monsters with the flaps down at 50o.

The change I'm making is in their construction. The kit comes with two 18" long pieces of "angled" solid balsa. The inner and outer flaps are made of this solid material (the inner one, as it curves around the gull somewhat) is built up from ribs/sheeting.

I decided to make the outer one built up as well, primarily to lighten the plane. I left the inner flap as a solid piece because it has the horn attached (where the control rod is attached) and I wanted to be able to have one solid piece for it to attach to, rather than have to add blocks of balsa inside the framework for the horn to attach to.

In any case, this first pic is what the built up flap looks like from the side. There are three ribs inside to support the sheeting and two blocks to support the hinges.

This next one shows the port flaps in the raised position. No hinges in yet
so I'm using tape to hold them in place. The middle flap has not been built
yet but you can see the inner most plate in place.

This next one is the starboard side from the rear

And this last one is "kind of" close to what they'll look like when lowered

This is what the base of the middle flap looks like, ready to "be constructed"

And this is with the 4 ribs in place (the outer and inner flap provide the proper angle for the outboard ribs of the middle flap).

That's all for now.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.