RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - When is big-to big
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #35
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
OK, I'm allowed an opinion

The loss of flying fields was DIRECTLY associated with the larger models:

We flew for some years at a site with small-size models without problems. The models DUE TO THIER SIZE stayed well within the rough confines of the field, and the noise FOOTPRINT of these models was commensurate. The larger models showed up, and just their takeoffs took them over houses that we had never even approached, outside our envelope. The response was immediate, and irreversible: the prohibition signs were up in a week. Who was responsible??? If these guys had flown on the same site with small models, the site would still be available. If you have the luxury of having a site with no housing around with in the noise footprint, lucky you; in our case, the next area available of that size was far off, or under the control of the same clowns that ruined our site. (Politics: if they can't fly there, they will have to fly with us. If you think this is BS, I have a number of personal letters and newsletters that I saved from that fight.)

There is a lot of flying in that area (Victoria): some of it is the Big Boys, but the rest is electric. Electric flyers now fly where we were banned before BECAUSE THERE IS NO NOISE.

Large models are inherently noisy (usually props, not engines), and the noise footprint is far, far larger. If you have that luxury, fine, or if you can afford to drive hours to get to a site, also fine. Just don't ask me to agree that larger models are "better" in some way, they are just larger and, inherently more of an ego trip.

If you disagree, fine, your opinion; I have just stated my logic for coming to mine.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.