RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Ethanol in gas
Thread: Ethanol in gas
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
rcav8r71
RCC Contributor

I am: Jon F
Radio of choice:
Any that work, and they all work
# of RCs: 99+

Total Props: 11
Re: Ethanol in gas

I've been using nothing but 100LL Avgas in all my gas engines(airplanes, helis, boats, lawnmower, weedwacker, ultralight,& Cessna)since the mid '80's.
All my 2 strokes get Quakerstate mineral based oil mixed 50 to 1. I have NEVER had an engine failure, flameout, scored cylinder, bad bearing, rotten fuel hose, clogged filter, or bad diaphragm while running this fuel/oil mix. All my engines start on the first or second flip/pull just about every time. I attribute this to 3 things. First, damn good fuel with no alcohol. Second, good oil and enough of it (I personally don't like synthetic oils). Third, not over leaning. If you need every last bit of power the engine is capable of producing, what you really need is a bigger engine! BTW, alcohol burns at roughly twice the rate of gasoline, therefore, 10% alcohol in the gas in your car gives you about 5% less gas mileage which adds about 5% to the cost of a fill up. At $1.20/litre, that makes it more like paying $1.26/litre. A price hike of 6 cents a litre usually gets people pretty riled up, but only if they know about it. Also, check out the prices of the crops used to make ethanol, they're going up so much/fast, even the United Nations is concerned.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.