RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Nanotech Batteries Puffed:
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Shawnlh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -2
Re: Nanotech Batteries Puffed:

I know this thread is about nanotechs, but I'd thought I'd share my experience with a premium brand lipo. I've never purchased HK or other inexpensive lipos, and probably never will. However, many at my local club have used the inexpensive packs, and most all have had poor results with early failures, ie. puffiness, won't hold a charge, and even a couple fires!
Now onto the premium lipos. All my planes run on 8s (2x4s 4000's in series) and I have a dozen Hyperion CX 4000 mAh 4s packs. Now these packs are coming on 2 1/2 years old with about 250 cycles on each. I ALWAYS store at 3.85 v/cell, even if it's just overnight and in a cool dry place. Actually I store them in an aluminum case padded with foam and several silica gel packets in the case. I NEVER discharge more than 80%, most times it's closer to 70%. And I also use quality chargers/balancers (4x Thunder Power 1010/210 combos) I know they're old, but they do there job very well.
Now, it seems to me, the packs are running stronger now than they ever have!! My amp numbers are up just a little, and the wattage numbers have climbed equally. I did however pay $90.00 a piece, but, if I buy the inexpensive lipos, I'm sure I would have had to replace them 2 perhaps 3 times by now.
So where's the savings?
Pay twice as much to start, and have them last 3-4 times longer, or buy cheap and replace often and pay more shipping?!? You do the math.

Sorry for the off topic babbling, just thought I'd share.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.