RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - some charging questions and general electric flight theroy
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18
Re: some charging questions and general electric flight theroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
Hello guys,
I'm getting my electric stuff out of storage after about a year hiatus.
I'm running a fairly large set-up.....50-65-245kv motor (or very close to that) on 7s, making about 1500 watts.
I use the hobbyking Zippy batteries, and just got some Great Hobbies batteries to try, as some of the Zippys went puffy in storage.
I have a acccycle 6 charger and run it from a wimpy power supply but am going to run it from a deep cycle battery once my trailer is set-up.

Charging Question: If I want to charge my 7s set-up (a 4s and 3s battery, both 5000mah) together, or a couple of the 3s, or 2s batteries, what do I need? I believe there are balancing boards...is that what i'd use? I know my accucycle 6 will only do 6s.......
I stick to a 1c charge, or less, as i'm not in a big hurry.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this question....but..
My motor is a 245kv......I run it on 7s. so in theroy I should get around 6800rpm in theory. (prop is a 15" 4 blade, adjustable pitch) I'm pulling around 1500 watts.
I find the model is a bit doggy, maybe not enough rpm. So...if I go up to 8 or 9s, I should get more RPM. I can fine tune the prop pitch to get the right power draw. Since I'd be running a higher voltage, at assuming less amps to get the same watts, would this change anything about the flight characteristics? And....could I use smaller Mah packs and get the same flight time? Assuming less amp draw, should they last longer?
Thanks for any insight!!!
Sorry, I can't help you with your airplane setup.

If you are talking about parallel charging your batteries, with a balance board, don't. Only similar voltages can be parallel charged, lots of different capacity 3S, different capacity 4S, but not different voltages.

My first parallel board came from Great Hobbies, my new one came from EP Buddy. EP Buddy has great customer support, all my parallel charging stuff now comes from them. The parallel board I use now is the V3 board, it only has 4 connections, but I never charge more than 3 together anyways.

Daren

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.