RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - KingCat? Howz it fly?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 14
KingCat? Howz it fly?

Taxing out, the P120 just needs a little nudge to get the 34 lb ( wet ) airframe rolling along the pavement. The 'Cat has a very solid feel on the ground with no tendancy to serve or oscillate side to side. Those beefy gear, struts and 3 1/4 tires work well. Once aligned on the center line takeoff flaps are selected ( approx 15 degrees ). Full brakes applied and the countdown timer set for 12 minutes ( allows for 2 - 2.5 min reserve ). As the throttle is slowly advanced to half the KingCat can be seen inching forward. Brakes released and full power applied. Takeoff is smooth and straight with little steering inputs required. No gyro necessary as the gear is widely spaced. At about the 150 ft mark a little elevator pull and she takes to the air with speed and authority. The airframe never even notices the additional weight of the 4.8 litres of kero aboard. Pull up the gear - make a gentle climbing turn and throttle back to cruise 1/2 stick.

Cruise with flaps up is a comfortable 120 mph. At that speed rolls are very comfortable in either direction and no application of down elevator is needed for inverted flight. A slight application - 70% power for one - two seconds and you can pull into the largest loop you want. It is interesting how the KingCat is happy not only in roll but well balanced in pitch as well. She just stays where you put her. Knife edge ( back facing ) does require some down elevator pressure to keep straight. At full throttle she really opens up and has been clocked at close to 200. At that speed just pull back and you can do as many vertical rolls to nearly out of sight as you want. I have had to bail out before I lose sight.

The KingCat has also the most amazing slow speed stability I have ever come across on a jet. With full flaps ( 40 degrees ) gear down and crow mix ( 1/2 inch up aileron ) approx. 1/4 throttle is required to maintain altitude. The aircraft becomes rock solid in this configuration with no pitch or roll induced variances. You must actively move the sticks to break straight and level attiude. She will fly around at 30 -40 mph in this configuration and with a stiff breeze will nearly hover. Amazing for a jet! This is also useful for setting up for short field landings.

Once the timer goes off, gear down is selected, and throttle is maintained at 1/4. The landing switch is activated which automatically selects 40 degrees flap, full crow and 1/4 inch up elevator. A quick check for gear and a powered ( 1/4 throttle ) downwind descent is initiated. At directly in front of the pilot a gentle sweeping turn to final is all that is needed. The aircraft is very stable in this configuration. Once on short final the nose is slightly raised and she settles in for a perfect mains landing. Keep pulling back on the elev and you can make her rollout a bit with the nose high. A little break is applied to slow her to taxi and that is it!

The KingCat is by far the easiest jet I have ever flown. It has the widest speed envelope of any ( the EuroSport may be a little slower in high alpha ) but what really makes it shine is the balance and stability is exhibits no matter what attitude its in. Yes, it is big. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it is of high quality but you get every pennies worth and more at the end of each flying session. My hats off to Mr. Violett and the designers at BVM. For pics check out projects on my site www.helijet.ca

Happy landings!
Dean
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.