RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - MVVS58irs Testing Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #109
Mike Anderson
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mike Anderson
Radio of choice:
JETI DS-24
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 1
Re: MVVS58irs Testing Thread

Trevor, your test results don't surprise me. I have an Evolution 58GX2, which Pe Reivers has equated to an MVVS Prosport in other forums. After sitting in a box for a few season's it's going into an Aeroworks Checkmate biplane with a custom-built JTec muffler. I expect unlimited verticals.

I agree that the weak link in the chain is the ignition unit, not just because of the weight. It does have one cool feature that really does work: it drives a choke servo. This makes for an 'automated' start sequence that worked when new. It also modulates the choke at very low rpm, allowing for 950 rpm idles. But I think the spark it produces is weak, which leads to the auto choke feature not being able to deliver on it's promises and leading to very hard to start situations. I eventually went to a manual choke setup and that helped for a while, but it was still very inconsistent to start from one day to the next. Could be a few flips one day, could be a hundred flips the next. The backfiring was always entertaining to the peanut gallery.

I eventually replaced it with a C&H ignition with a custom sensor mounting bracket (piece of art) and all the startup problems vanished.

I've read many similar accounts on the forums. And I've read about expensive ignition units not performing on 3W, ZDZ etc. and being replaced by RCExel's or C&H's too.

I've found myself evaluating engines you've been testing by not only the raw performance but also what others are saying about reliability and ignitions seem to be a common failure point. For example, I'm lusting after the MVVS 116NP, but figure that ignition will probably have to be replaced with a C&H unit, (maybe without ever using it) so I'm spending an extra $250ish for an engine system component I won't need.

It's too bad you didn't also have some kind of ignition unit test bench, where you could put a unit through a standardised set of tests to compare them. (I don't know what those tests would be - not my expertise) I think it would be another important evaluation of a given engine's worthiness of our dollars.

Otherwise, keep up the excellent testing. Really appreciate it.

(Somebody should send you an OS 60 GT - hint hint) I suspect it's an average performer, but who knows?
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.