RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - New Transport Canada UAS/Drone Guidelines
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #146
Hatch
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dylan L.

Total Props: 14
Re: New Transport Canada UAS/Drone Guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
All I can say to those 'suggestions' is ... LOL. not gonna happen in the real world. Zero thinking went into writing that crap. Made up on the fly by some guy in a cubicle who never even saw a picture of a model RC plane in his life. Or they cut&paste it from a safety code for 1/4 scale jet turbine models, hehe

And your ideas of 'guidelines' need some serious re-working also. Nonsensical as blanket guidelines. Need some input from real world modelers in all sub genres of the hobby.
I totally agree with you. All of those “guidelines” come from TC’s web page and the associated PDFs. I just thought it was interesting that they worded them differently on the PDF. Clear, straightforward guidance like “Don’t fly close to airports” makes much more sense than “Don’t fly with 9 km of an airport, heliport or aerodrome.”

It's kind of humorous that all of the press releases make reference to how the government is making it easier for commercial use of UAVs. They seem to be missing the fact that they're simultaneously making things more difficult for hobbyists.

Here's another point for those who might consider these "just guidelines." Transport Canada's wording does not seem to reflect that interpretation. The web page itself of course makes reference to what TC "expects" us to do, and then the associated press release from yesterday includes this statement:

"Recreational operators continue to be responsible to fly safely and should refer to Transport Canada’s website for information on any operating requirements."
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=909459

Expectations and requirements, in my mind, are fundamentally different from suggestions, or considerations.

Last edited by Hatch; 11-28-2014 at 08:17 AM.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.