RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Crystal swapping - looking for club rules
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 12:06 PM   #31
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
Sorry, If your TX has the crystal soldered in it means the manufacturer was too cheap to pay for a removeable crystal and a holder. This is how engineers think when they have to cut costs.

Noin, Some comments on your post(nothing personal ) First of all this guy uses too many big terms in the same sentence. I would be wary of anyone who sounds like they are reading from a movie script.

1. Our TX and RX are not frequency multiplied. Last time I checked, the crystal did operate 72Mhz
2. The crystal frequency does not change. It is part of a oscillating circuit. The circuit as a whole changes its resonant frequency to create an FM signal. A transmitter and receiver crystal are made of the same material and the same tolerance. (their frequencies will differ but I won't go into that)

Maybe Peter Berg knows his RF theory but his explanation sit well with me.

What's my opinion?????????????
Common sense,
If your channels are near together there should be no significant change in the range of your system when you swap crystals.
If the channels are at opposite ends of our spectrum then you may loose some range.

The best way to tell is to make sure you do a range check before you fly.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.