RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Started the Super Bandit
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #16

Total Props: 57
I've got some great idea's for this jet.
As for build quality compared to other jets, I've currently built

BVM Maverick Pro
Y/A A-4 Skyhawk
Kangaroo (original with balsa skinned wings)
Skymaster Gripen
Trim Spectre
Aviation Design Exocet
DL Aero Cyclone
DL Aero Airmacchi

and now the Super Bandit.

As far as quality, the Bandit is no better than the Exocet was. It's maybe a little better than the rest were. However, the difference is that the Bandit is 4x the money of even the most expensive of the other jets listed.
For 4x the money I was expecting 4x the quality.
I can take pictures if needed, but some of my issues are

1. Parts missing, mostly small screws/nuts, some of the maple blocks etc

2. Parts fit, I've had to recut 3 formers due to the ones supplied being way to small

3. Gel coat and cavities behind the gel coat. All over the fuse there are places where the gel coat crumbles away because there is no resin in behind it. You can also see the fiberglass weave in all the gelcoat.

4. Wing / stab to fuse fit, there are huge gaps when everything is aligned properly, primarily on the wing. I know the dihedral has to be right as all the holes are precut so alignment is pretty much a given on that.

5. Hatch fits, although better than most, not what I consider good for a kit of this price tag.

6. Delamination of fiberglass skin from balsa core. I've had my speed brake and both servo hatch covers delaminate, I'm saturating all edges with thin CA to help hold it all together.

None of this would be a huge issue to me if it were priced like my exocet was. My exocet with everything minus radio and turbine cost me about $2200 cdn. The Bandit with everything minus radio and turbine has cost me $6600cdn.

After hearing all the BVM worship and stuff, I was just expecting more. Doesn't matter at this point, I'm just looking forward to flying it
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.