I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Re: Skiis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtomcat View Post
If you are looking for a ski that will fly from a foot of fresh powder----you ain't gonna do it ---- Snow is not scale!
Only true for a trike geared plane!

With trike gear you have 2 large skis behind the C of G holding a small nose ski down hard against the ground. The more the rear skis climb up on the snow, the harder the nose ski will dig in.

Hard packed snow only for trikes - or use floats! They work well in powder!

Now - tail draggers work way better in snow but there are some little known secrets to making skis work in powder.

#1 Width is king!! Forget the long narrow skis, all they do is cut to the bottom & stay there! SHORT AND FAT IS WHERE IT'S AT!! They will get you up on top of the snow!
#2 The axel pivot MUST be 2/3 of the way back from the tip of the skis. A long tail behind the axel has the mechanical advantage and holds the tips down into the snow. They WILL NOT climb! Long tips ahead of the axel allows the tip to climb up on top of the snow more easily.
#3 Preload the tips up! Again to help them climb up on top of the snow.

A buddy of mine has a video of my Sig Citabria doing take offs in a foot of powder snow. The snow was so deep & fluffy that all that you could see when we set the plane down was the rudder, the cabin windows & wing and the top of the cowl!The prop was kicking up such a cloud of snow it was hard to see the plane at times. No! It wasn't just one freak take off! We did it over & over just because we could hardly believe it ourselves!

Skis, 3" wide x 6" long. Plane 6.5 lbs with an OS .40SF

Many thanks to Ron Simonson, former Alberta MAAC zone director for teaching me this!

Enjoy! It works like a charm! Merv

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.