RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Broken Muffler Studs
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
Quote:
After being a machinist all my life & the many many broken screws I have removed , afraid i have to disagree with the negative remarks from Ed ,

One has to be carefull with a small screw like that , use cutting oil on the drill bit & don't put it ontop speed , keep it sharp . No problem . easy outs come in diff; sizes . Wish you were around where i live , would do it for you .
I do not know why I am taking the bait here but I have nothing else to do right now so why not.

The recommended size of stud extractor (easyout) for the screws in question is #1. The recommended drill size for the #1 extractor is 5/64" (0.078")dia.

"Use cutting oil"
I am sure that the average modeller has the appropriate cutting oil in the workshop.

"Keep it sharp"
I am sure that the average modeller has the equipment and skill to sharpen a drill this small. To most it looks like a piece of wire!

"Do not use top speed"
I am sure the average modeller has a drill press capable of drilling an accurate hole as is required here. If so then maybe our lifelong machinist can suggest the cutting speed or RPM for drilling an 0.078 dia hole in a hardened screw, the top surface of which is not flat.

I stand by my original suggestion, do not try to drill it out.

Ed S

vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.