RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - My Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Neiuport 17 Build
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Re: My Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Neiuport 17 Build

Ok, Lets get started

The first thing I needed was something to build on that would be perfectly flat and accept pins easily but yet hold them firmly!

I picked up a 2' X 4" X 7/8" piece of particle board that has a 1/8" cork sheet on one side. Home Depot for $14.50. Not too expensive for what you get and its really a must. See Pic Below!

I fastened it to my Building Work Bench with screws to keep it flat! Everything was checked with a 4' Aluminum straight edge ruler!

Next step was to gather up and organize the tools and equip needed to construct the kit. Pic below of some of my tools which include a sanding miter jig that has an adjustable angle arm with degrees marked on the surface. Other tools included a Hobby cutting arm knife, like a mini gillotine of sorts. Works great to cut and angle small pieces. Squares, exacto knives, sanding sticks and T's, pins, glues, mini wood plane, etc. Pic below!

Now unpack the kit and check for missing or broken pieces, Pic below of the entire wood kit laid out on my work bench. This kit was well packed and everything was accounted for. Diecut pieces came apart fairily well but some needed a bit of help with an E-Xato knife to seperate! No biggie!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kit Pieces 2.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	42128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Various Tools.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	42129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Building Board.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	42130  

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 12-18-2008 at 10:57 AM.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.