RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Real Flight Poll.......you like it or not........
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Re: Real Flight Poll.......you like it or not........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcx View Post
its nothing like the real deal. i have used all the flight sims, including aerofly pro all with a g2 controller. nothing beats flying the real thing. too me the flight sims are a game , just like playing microsoft flight simulator. except its models instead of jumbo jets and such.
Personally, I believe flight sims are much more than a game especially with today's new breed of flight sims.

You can go into the program and change many of the perameters, setting up your sim to react exactly as the model aircraft you are flying. After tweeking my Pheonix flight sim, I got the Yak 54 to fly exactly the same as my Aeroworks Yak 54. Add in some wind with a bit of Xwind and you have a very realistic challenge. I flew IMAC and with this setup flying the sim, it helped me tremendously in flying the sequences in competition.

Same goes for the helis with the flight sim. Again, having some patients, and working and reworking the sim perameters, I got the sim Blade 400 to fly the same as my model Blade 400. This really builds confidence fast and helps take the edge off the nerves when trying the model for the first few flights.

Now, just for the sake of argument, I am also going to say the same for the Microsoft flight simulator. My son, who has a commercial pilot's license, and I, would spend hours setting up and flying IFR proceedural approaches on the MFS. It is dead nuts on.

We would turn off the outside view on the sim and fly by instruments only from one city to another, following IFR rules and approaches. When we did the math, followed all proceedural turns, and was on ILS final at about 100' above ground, we'd switch on the outside view and there would be the runway straight ahead and we'd be dead on the centerline every time. Its an amazing learning tool! Don't underestimate its accuracy and usefulness in many many more ways than this! MFS is also much much more than a game!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 01-28-2010 at 05:15 AM.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.