RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Deep cycle battery to power a charger and charge lipo packs
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87
Re: Deep cycle battery to power a charger and charge lipo packs

I use a booster pack but I don't know how many charges you would get. At my old club I had to use it to boost someones truck after he charged 4 large packs off it. I took a training course from Exide and we were taught that a car battery is not made to be discharged. It reduces the capacity of the battery. As someone stated in a above post. A car battery starts the car and then the alternator takes over. That's why in the winter time driving short trips with all your accessories on will discharge the battery. Your alternator can't put out much power at idle. At my new club we have a member that has a small Honda generator that is so quite you wouldn't know its running. He has a long cord and has it away from where the members sit. From what I've seen you either need to charge them at home before you fly or invest in a generator unless you can pay to run a Hydro line. I fly small electrics and charge all my batteries at home before I fly. I still fly glow and don't see myself switching my bigger planes over to electric power because of the batteries. Cheers Floyd
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.