RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Why I buy mailorder
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Re: Why I buy mailorder

In the Ottawa area we have several local hobby shops. Everyone has their favorites.

When I was racing RC cars, I did tend to find it a bit frustrating when the shops wouldn't have the parts I wanted for my particular model. I did a lot of mail order for a couple cars I had because no one supported them locally. However, I learned that if you tried to stick to brands that the local shops supported more, it became much easier. Racing is a different animal than flying, though.

I find that the two shops that I go to carry almost anything I would ever need for my planes. I think that's why I like planes so much. Planes aren't quite as brand specific as cars and you can use all sorts of different brands to fix a plane.

I'll have to say, though, that I find it hard to shop local for electric stuff when I've been having great experiences with the Hobby City lines. I couldn't afford to fly electric if I didn't have HC. Unfortunately, the local shops only carry the name brands, and they're way too expensive compared to very similar products from China. Everything has worked flawlessly so far.

However, when I need building materials, or the occaisional kit, or a radio, or servos in a hurry, the LHSs always have what I need! I try to support them as much as my budget will allow! My shops almost always have what I need when it comes to planes.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.