RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Avoiding a Midair
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

I am: Brendan G

Total Props: 2
Re: Avoiding a Midair

Chris:

Flying or judging, I find that I am so focused on the one plane that I really don't have time to check out where the second is and decide if we are on a collision course, and when I'm calling I am both watching the plane and reading the sequence which is even more distracting. You are always aware of the other plane but as Frank pointed out, the speed is deceiving. Twice over the last three years we even had a couple of mid-airs where one plane was coming straight down and the second flew under it. For the one I saw at Cayuga, I was certain that by the time they got near each other, they would be clear and was sure they had. The odds were incredibly low yet it happened. It wasn't until both planes landed that it was actually evident that they hit and one of the pilots had no Idea they hit until landing and inspecting the plane.
Both pilots are incredibly experienced and skilled yet It happened so fast neither had time to react.

Brendan
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.