RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - sailboat just looking
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 05:32 AM   #120
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jim P
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: sailboat just looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoo55 View Post
I don't know that I would ever get to the point of having sails that anyone else would want to buy, but it would be fun to see if I could make a higher performing sail than the one that came with the boat. I actually don't think the stock sails are too bad, but without individual panels that are joined together, you really can't do much to control the shape of the sail. Having said that, I personally have no idea what the shape should be, and if I am able to figure that out, I still have no idea how to cut panels and end up with that shape. So, I'm sure that initially I'll just be making a bunch of mylar JUNK.

All that aside, I'm almost certain that a good skipper with stock sails will beat a less skilled skipper with the best sails. So in my case, I will probably have trouble even staying on the course!
that is so true Skipper or pilot or driver skills will offset any tech improvement up to a point. The only true test is allow a better skipper etc to do the testing of both set ups, till your skills get better.
I use to drive real race cars, open wheel formula. Driver skill showed us one weekend . I was running race gas the works and the guy who I had to work to stay with he ran regular pump gas even older tires. Other than that the cars were twins same motor etc. We switch cars for a few laps in testing and again the lap time results were the same.
The to a point is if we were both the same skill level then tech helps
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.