RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Slope Areas in Vancouver B.C.???
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #65
jan

Total Props: 0
Talking Re: Slope Areas in Vancouver B.C.???

Hello there! I would like to tell you about perfect slope site right in the middle of Vancouver. In mid eighties I, just like you guys was looking for places to fly around Vancouver. I tried access roads to Seymour mt. and flew my 2m sailplane from the parking area at the look out on Holyburn mt. But landing area was tight and rough! And one day while visiting Vancouver's planetrium, I spotted a glider zig zaging above sea wall! Immediately I went to investigate, The pilot was an engineer from Boeing in Seattle and he was flying 2m rudder, elevator only glider, about 5m above the sea wall. The wind was north westerly. The difference between water level and the top of the wall was about 3m. When there is low tide, the drop can be about 4m! Since then I made many flights in that area and some times I was able to get as high as 50m high and way out over the water. The only limit was in my 450ma nicads on board of the plane. Then we moved to Nanaimo on Vanc. island and as far as I know, they towed some old sail ships right in front of the Marine museum and put up a brake water. I am not sure if the same spot would be flyable or not at present time. The sea wall and the water are still there, so someone should go and find out? Here are two pictures. Flying american and my daughter with my glider. She is 43now! Man??

Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0121-2.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	55125  

Last edited by jan; 07-14-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: picture
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.