RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Alberta Slope Patrol guide
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #163
footsy
RCC Apprentice

I am: Chris F
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Banff Makeout Point

I posted earlier about my sites near the Banff townsite but here is some video of makeout point on the way up to Norquay. I'm pretty new to gliding but it has become my obbsesion and I average 5 days a week of flying and probably about 3 hours in the air each day. Right now this site is amazing. Sometimes a light breeze will come down the hill from the snow covered slopes of norquay. That will push the thermals from the south facing exposed rock and pavement up really fast. It also menas that if you aren't high enough you can loose altitude very quickly. In this situation, I'm glad to have a motor but if the wind is coming from 160 to 240 degrees at at least 10km/h it should be no problem for unmotorized craft at any temperature. Landing is not easy here but it rarely is in this neck of the woods.

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

The launch site is the green patch in the centre of the image.

This is not a simple slope. Slight changes in wind direction can really change things. Below the launch site, the slope goes more to the west than it appears but a west wind can be tricky because its blocked by Norquay Mountain. Once you get about 400ft above the launch site, you almost always have very strong lift. The grassy hill looks like a good thermal generator but below it, the rocks and a couple of curves in the road can really heat up. If I have trouble getting lift, I often fly straight away to the south until I find some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10321571_10154095583890713_887453207371629505_o.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	305570  
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.