RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - WHY?? Let's here those stories
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
CP140

Total Props: 0
I've always been interested in aviation. I built plastic models by the dozen and as a teenager would do odd jobs around the local airport in exchange for a flight. I got into "real" airplanes for a few years (see avatar) but got out of that when I failed my medical went back to university.

I'd always wanted to fly rc airplanes but always seemed to lack the time and the initial "seed" money to get started. In 2000, the Nats were held near here. I saw the ad in the local community newspaper and dragged my kids along... the oldest wasn't even in school yet. While I was there, I entered a raffle for a complete starter kit. As I was handing over the ticket and the money, the guy behind the table glanced at my address and remarked that I lived just around the corner from him and that if I won it, he would teach me to fly it. He then handed me an info sheet for the local club.

I didn't win it, but the ball was rolling. A couple of months later, a relative left me some money in his will. Not a lot, but it was enough to put a little in the bank and for my wife and I to spend a little on something for ourselves. I invested my portion in a trainer, radio and all the usual "stuff".

Six years later, I still have my trainer, I've "killed" a couple of airplanes, have 8 ready to fly, I've accumulated enough bits and pieces to almost open my own hobby shop, the guy around the corner's daughter has babysat for me and he is still teaching me to fly better, I've said a final goodbye to a great flyer and welcomed a few new ones, my daughter who likes to help build/fix and who was reading MAN last week says she wants to learn to fly and I'm thinking of trying pattern this year.

I think I'm hooked.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.