RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - I want to add flaps to a DHC-2
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #13
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: I want to add flaps to a DHC-2

This is starting to sound like the "Mouse Designed by Committee", ie. Elephant.

There are simpler and far more elegant solutions that will solve the load problem and I have been using them for a long time. In fact, just completed the addition of flaps on Rare Bear yesterday using the same method.

You can solve the strain on the servo by using geometry. If you rig the linkage so as they deploy the angle between the servo arm and flap input gets closer to 0 degrees the stress on the servo to hold position reduces. I included pics of this for the Harvard, which by the way has flaps that extend from one aileron to the other and have considerable area and aerodynamic loading. I drive these with a single modded gear servo due only to the fact it is a bit slower and now proportional.

Again, a lot of this may be moot if the Beaver wing is in one piece. A central flap servo driving aileron linkage setups to both side flaps would be mechanically tied together. That would likely require the installation of independent aileron servos, but thin wing units like the Hitec HS-125 should be a good match.

Unless the airframe is seriously misrigged, the wing is warped or doing hard 3D the loading on ailerons should be relatively light and transitory so standard installations should work fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1069.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	682.7 KB
ID:	844730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1071.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	735.7 KB
ID:	844738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1073.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	824.9 KB
ID:	844746  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.