RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - ALES (Altitude Limited Electric Soaring)
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
kcaldwel
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin C.

Total Props: 6
ALES (Altitude Limited Electric Soaring)

I thought I'd throw these files up under a more general title. We've been running ALES rounds with just a few pilots, and having a lot of fun with it. We've been using 150m cut-off altitudes, and ten minute max's.

I've modified one of Dave Register's MP3 DLG timing files for ALES to help run rounds without timers. It has a 1minute warning, a start horn, a 25 second mark to let you know motor cut-off is coming up, minute marks, and then a countdown starting at 30 seconds. I've ordered a little MP3 ghetto blaster to play it on, but it should work on anything that can play an MP3 file loud enough for all the pilots to hear it. The file is here:

http://www3.telus.net/public/kcaldwe...0m%20heat4.mp3

Edit: New version of file. Used low and high pass filters to clean it up, and reduce file size.

I've also made a little manual score sheet, that is pretty easy to do normalized scores on for a few pilots just with a calculator. I will likely make the original Excel spreadsheet into something that will automatically calculate the scores on a laptop, and of course there are scoring programs available for bigger contests.

Running little informal rounds with the pilots timing themselves using the Tx timers, or cheap stopwatches is fun. An MP3 player, and a few landing tapes made out of some cheap polypro strapping makes for an instant contest.

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ALES manual score sheet V2.pdf (13.9 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by kcaldwel; 11-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.