MAC Mag ... looking for feedback - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #1

Total Props: 57
Re: MAC Mag ... looking for feedback

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Keith, having plowed through ths thread and read everyone's comments and suggestins, I've jsut realized two things:
1) I'd better read the magazine again tomorrow -- I tend to give it a quick skim when it arrives for items of interest.
2) CR@P! I've got to get my column off to you this week!!!!!! My problem is lack of material, not the other way around.

Suggestion: The "hints and tips" should also feature the "tool/gadget of the month".

Did make for an enjoyable read the first time around.

Remember, even when the moan about the content, at least they read it! Of course, solving the English/French situation probably never will happen. You're doing the best job possible.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Keith Morison
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
MAC Mag ... looking for feedback

As some of you may have noticed, we are making some changes to MAC Mag in an effort to try and improve the look of the magazine and are working to include more general interest articles.

Now, if we're late with an issue or if there is a picture that causes someone's heart to flutter in fear RCC explodes with threads about the magazine but with two issues into the progression of change ... nada.

As we are assessing the success or failure of our goals, I'm looking for some candid opinions... but keep it constructive please. Internet threads being internet threads, I know this will probably stray off track but lets try and keep it focused. The goal is to make the magazine better for the members and I want to know what you think we can/should change.

There are a number of areas that are not worth bringing up as they have been researched and talked to death by the board in the past. (Uni lingual publishing and online delivery being two of them.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts ...
Keith Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
John O'Sullivan
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John O

Total Props: 22

Keith:
i think that it is a very difficult situation to please everyone all the time, but you are doing a good job in keeping a realistic balance.
I remember that in the 60's having come from the other side of the pond, one of my main criticisms of North American magazines was the "hip-hop" juggling of sections of articles from page to page. Thankfully this has disappeared from magazines for the most part.
However it is still a major feature of MAAC Mag.
Is there any reason why this artifact of page juggling persists?
Otherwise, you are doing a fantastic job and present a very balanced overview of this very diverse hobby.
John
MAAC #5401
MACI # 26
John O'Sullivan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
fhd
RCC Apprentice

i had a chance to read the august maac mag from one end to the other today,in a dr office waiting to be seen.
the pix,i thought were very good,and of differnet planes.keep this coming.
rather than the rederic about who did what,on what occastion,for what ever reason,would it be possible to sort of illimitate this stuff,who cares what they did,its ok in there area,but in "real central" canada i dont care.i dont have any idea on how to solve this problem,but i hope some who reads this will have an answer.
fhd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Keith Morison
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan View Post
I remember that in the 60's having come from the other side of the pond, one of my main criticisms of North American magazines was the "hip-hop" juggling of sections of articles from page to page. Thankfully this has disappeared from magazines for the most part.
However it is still a major feature of MAAC Mag.
Thanks for the feedback John.
The page turns in columns and articles is being greatly reduced, and was the tipping point for the recent change in direction. The main cause of this, and why we still see it, is content that doesn't adhere to strict word count guidelines and/or doesn't have pictures included with the text. (Picture size can be adjusted to keep the words on one page)
For the most part the contributions are coming from people without a background in journalism or periodical writing. As much as I can, I edit the columns to fit, without removing substance, but it isn't always possible.
I'm cracking the whip a bit more when it comes to column lengths but it is hard to bounce content from a volunteer contributor because it is either drastically long, or short.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Keith Morison
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhd View Post
Rather than the rederic about who did what,on what occastion,for what ever reason,would it be possible to sort of illimitate this stuff...
I am certainly trying to push the columns in a more forward looking direction, but sometimes looking back at what has happened is a good thing too. The default for a lot of the contributors is to simply report on what has been happening. Having been in their shoes, I know it takes a lot more time, effort and planning to do anything else. That said, I do want to see less of 'what was' and more of 'what is' or 'will be' in the magazine.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Applehoney
RCC Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 15

From the point of view of a Chairman of a committee covering widespread interests and activities it is now difficult to write a meaningful column within the limited space now allocated.
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Frenchman
RCC Contributor

I am: Rene B

Other than the hip hop mentioned earlier the only complaint I have ever had is with the intermingling of the French and English Language. I Cannot see why the magazine could have an english section and a french section, which in my humble opinion would add a bit of continuity to the magazine.Other than that I find it good

MAAC # 68775
Frenchman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #9

Total Props: 57

I used to be one of Keith’s critics when the magazine was late. After being chairman of one of the committees and having a hard time meeting my deadline for a single column on more than one occasion I have a new appreciation for how Keith juggles the task and many personalities for each issue. The look and feel of the magazine continues to improve. The addition of articles and wonderful pictures should not be at the expense of communications between members, the SIGs and the executive. As past scale chairman there were many times I had trouble getting all the stuff that was submitted to me into one column including pictures. The eye candy is great Keith but I can get that in any number of magazines. This is the only publication that keeps me abreast of what piques my interest in Canada.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Morison View Post
As some of you may have noticed, we are making some changes to MAC Mag
1. don't call it MAC Mag (sic) or even MAAC Magazine
2. try to give it some more commercial and marketing potential so that it can one day become a source of income for MAAC rather than a sink
3. put stuff in it that would give it new stand potential, articles and plans maybe
4. sell the magazine hand in hand with online features

I like the cover photos and some of the articles

some days I just want to spew the brutal truth as I see it

moo.

Last edited by moo; 08-24-2010 at 08:53 PM.
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in