garr! low end needle wont stop turning in! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
imported_gremlin_390
RCC Expert Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
check if the tank lid is seated all the way. mine has a problem that it doesnt close all the way and i have to force it the rest of the way and then put a custom spring from the tank mount to the lid to keep it shut.

Also, the needle settings for the S-25 from factory are:
-high speed needle - preset 4.5 turns from bottom, 2.5-3 turns from bottom after break-in
-low speed - 3 turns from bottom, 2.5-3 turns from bottom after break-in.

a good way to check if the carb is leaking is to hook up fuel line to an air compressor with 5lb pressure in it and plug the air intake and bottom of the carb where it goes into the engine with your finger, and pump air into the fuel nipple under water. i find that its normal for some air to leak out from the throttle piston, but anywhere else is bad.
imported_gremlin_390 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
John Bakker
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: JB

Cracked Gas tanks will only leak when the vehicle is running(tank under pressure) unless it's a big leak .
When in doubt richen the top and bottom needle and tune from there ( 1 hour increments)try the pinch test for the bottom end .
Check for air leaks in the back plate ,carb ,feul line ,feul filter and button
John Bakker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
bpc-rally

it may be the lid of the tank, i found fuel around the top of the tank aswell?

this is weird, i just want it to run
and its snowing today so its discouraging me from taking it out to tune it
bpc-rally is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #14
bpc-rally

hmmm today i fired it up and watched for bubbles in the air line, couldnt see any...

i drove it around in the slush and snow (it was fun, yes i know i can ruin electronics). when it came back in after a couple min it was smoking like crazy though, and i still think my needle settings are way richer than hpis. it looked like it was smoking around the cooling head or maybe the header. but it looks like its all seated on, and it idles fine now...

Also i still have a ton of gas all over the tank and i even found some near the front of the car (maybe when i pick it up by the back bumper it spilled out?). i think to play it safe im going to pick up a new tank, this ones lid seems like it could also cause a leak...
Old 01-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
endler
The real deal behind the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc-rally
had it running finally. a hobby store here said to put the low end flush with the carb. and the hi end 3 turns out..

the low end was about right, a little on the lean side. and the high end was wayy lean..

for somereason if id WOT it would studder, not like its bogging, like it was short on fuel... so i kept richening the high end, and now its a little better, but its way over 3 turns..

Also it had an odd idle, it sounded like it was "laughing" very unsteady
Keep in mind with the rotostart and backplate on these trucks the loosen off all the time! and create air leaks...just because its used doesnt mean the person fixed it and may be the reason he got rid of it...check the back plate screws and the roto start screws (all maybe even seal it up and use a little dab of loctite on all the screws just so you can eliminate that as a problem hope that helps...

TEAM DURANGO
TEAM GREAT HOBBIES
www.greathobbies.com
endler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #16
endler
The real deal behind the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc-rally
hmmm today i fired it up and watched for bubbles in the air line, couldnt see any...

i drove it around in the slush and snow (it was fun, yes i know i can ruin electronics). when it came back in after a couple min it was smoking like crazy though, and i still think my needle settings are way richer than hpis. it looked like it was smoking around the cooling head or maybe the header. but it looks like its all seated on, and it idles fine now...

Also i still have a ton of gas all over the tank and i even found some near the front of the car (maybe when i pick it up by the back bumper it spilled out?). i think to play it safe im going to pick up a new tank, this ones lid seems like it could also cause a leak...
also does your tank have the primer? is it the old tank with the front pick up? does the cap seem like it seals ok? take it off hook up 2 pieces of fuel line plug the carb side and blow in the pressure side while tanks is submerged in a sink or whatever..pressure test the tank and if you see bubbles change it obviously...savages had tanks that were front pick up witch starved the engine on acceleration make sure you have the updated tank and no primer...the primer is kind of a headache..one more thing to leak hope that helps

TEAM DURANGO
TEAM GREAT HOBBIES
www.greathobbies.com
endler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #17
bpc-rally

thanks
yeah its got a rear pickup but i think im getting a new one, the cap may be leaking..

i will check the rotostart plate because the smoke was coming around the engine, as i said it might just be the exhaust smoke working its way around though. and plus its -3 so it would make sense for a warm engine to smoke right? im to lazy to take out the engine right now haha

im going to tighten all the head bolts, it seems to be spraying fuel from somewhere and im sure that the cap on the fuel tank isnt sealing.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in