fiber optics kill switches - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
gunnerthesnowman
RCC Noob

I am: Curtis C.

Total Props: 0
Re: fiber optics kill switches

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks guys for the info , and yes grizak that is the plane and i will look into the ultra ibec , is having a over powered size engine a problem and if i had to run a 3 bladed prop because of ground clearance, is that bad , do the three blade not work as good as a 2 bladed prop , sorry for the stupid ? , i could ask my son if i was,nt getting this for him for Xmass.

Thank again
gunnerthesnowman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #12
grizak
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★

I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerthesnowman View Post
Thanks guys for the info , and yes grizak that is the plane and i will look into the ultra ibec , is having a over powered size engine a problem and if i had to run a 3 bladed prop because of ground clearance, is that bad , do the three blade not work as good as a 2 bladed prop , sorry for the stupid ? , i could ask my son if i was,nt getting this for him for Xmass.

Thank again
Overpowering a plane is better than underpowering! Remember - you don't need to use full throttle. The problem with a larger engine is usually weight, airframe stress, and ground clearance.

With this plane and the DA60 - weight won't be a problem.

This airframe is solid enough to handle the DA60 - just reinforce the firewall area (hardwood triangle stock where the firewall meets the rest of the fuse).

Ground clearance will be an issue. Assuming the plane hasn't changed in design - It was difficult to run anything larger than a 22" prop on this plane, as the gear would flex a bit on landing and you could end up breaking the prop on a landing that was a little less than perfect.

The DA60 really needs a 2-blade 23x8 through 24x8 size prop to load it properly (we have customers running 24x10s and even 25x8s on DA60s with great results). You could use a 22x12 (A 22x10 is a bit small in our experience) - that may provide enough load, but will also result in faster flight speeds at lower throttle levels. This plane slows down very well on landings, so the 22x12 may be OK.

If you use too small of a prop on an engine, you run the risk of over revving the engine. These engines are generally rated for around 9000-10000 RPM max. Anything over that can cause damage. Also, with a smaller prop you will have a hard time getting a good low idle.

A 3-blade may be a good alternative, they have their pros and cons. Firstly, they are more expensive and can be hard to find. (Falcon has a nice 22x10 wood 3-blade that would be a good match for this engine - you can find it here: http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...oducts_id=2003
3-blades are not as efficient as 2-blades, so you won't get as much top end speed or pull out of a comparable 3-blade. 3-blades are very quiet compared to 2-blades, and they usually offer a really nice transition and good braking (slowing the plane down) on downlines and for landing.

Hope this helps

Grizak
Old 11-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
teckbot
RCC Apprentice

I am: Gabor B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18QQ
# of RCs: 15+

This is my preferred kill switch that i use on all my gas planes

http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...oducts_id=2060

Highly recommend it.
teckbot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:37 AM   #14
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

These work

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ll_Switch.html
Old 11-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
zdsh13
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: ***

Total Props: 6

These days we have too much money invested in an airframe to not worry about a brownout on your receiver. The nice thing about the expander board is your only limited by the amp draw on your supply batteries as the wire size is typically 12-16 gauge. I also use an ibec for the ignition which saves me not needing an ignition battery, and power the rx with two batteries. You guarantee yourself built in redundancy as long as there is an isolator switch on your expander board. Other options would be an wolverine switch or a power safe receiver if you desire redundancy.

I run smartly eq6 or eq10's as it makes setting up the flight surfaces so easy when matching elevator halves or multiple ailerons or rudder servos, I don't use the smartly optic kill as it is more expensive and you need to run the fibre optic cable through the fuse. You can easily find used smart fly boards for $150 on different forums, maybe a tad more now with the weak Can dollar.

By the time you get your 50cc ready you will be close to $1800, what is $150 extra for an expander board for the peace of mind....
Old 11-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
gunnerthesnowman
RCC Noob

I am: Curtis C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdsh13 View Post
These days we have too much money invested in an airframe to not worry about a brownout on your receiver. The nice thing about the expander board is your only limited by the amp draw on your supply batteries as the wire size is typically 12-16 gauge. I also use an ibec for the ignition which saves me not needing an ignition battery, and power the rx with two batteries. You guarantee yourself built in redundancy as long as there is an isolator switch on your expander board. Other options would be an wolverine switch or a power safe receiver if you desire redundancy.

I run smartly eq6 or eq10's as it makes setting up the flight surfaces so easy when matching elevator halves or multiple ailerons or rudder servos, I don't use the smartly optic kill as it is more expensive and you need to run the fibre optic cable through the fuse. You can easily find used smart fly boards for $150 on different forums, maybe a tad more now with the weak Can dollar.

By the time you get your 50cc ready you will be close to $1800, what is $150 extra for an expander board for the peace of mind....
Thanks for the info Zdsh13 , thats what i was thinking , i know its a bit more money , but if you sell the plane you can always take it off.
gunnerthesnowman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in