They are absolutely Nuts! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #11
Dzlstunter
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Dave H. got it right on.

I was fascinated by the backgrounds in these videos. I fly park flyers occassionally, but some of these guys are in urban areas--even playing around with light standards. I liked the one where the truck driver stops and hands the fuse back over the fence to the flyer. It had to have landed fairly close to the truck's right of way.

To be fair, though, some of it could have happened at a regulated field and isn't all that unusual. Dzl

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
("Watch it, Kid! You'll put someone's eye out with that!")
I know the movie you gents are refering to, but the phrase above is what I used to hear all the time when I played around with pointed sticks and such. Anyway I definately would be willing to put money into a first aid clinic/hobby shop emporium at that field, if research showed the folk had the means to pay. (Maybe a funeral parlor on the side as well! )

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzlstunter
...and isn't all that unusual. Dzl

Reeeaallllyyyy? What club do you fly at?
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #14
Dzlstunter
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4

I only said some of it was not all that unusual. We don't play around with light standards or fly close to buildings and roads. We do crash on occassion. Dzl
Old 07-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #15
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Do you see pilots flying at themselves then ducking to avoid being hit?
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
jake_027
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
Spektrum ix14

Total Props: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcIntyre
Do you see pilots flying at themselves then ducking to avoid being hit?
I saw a guy fly a 3D plane at himself and go vertical right before he hit himself. This guy was flying 3D planes that he created himself before 3D became popular - about 8 years ago. This was actually scary to watch although he laughed about it. At that time, he was a member at the Burlington Club and the Oakville Club so some of you local guys may know who I'm talking about.
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #17
Dzlstunter
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4

That is also something we don't do. But high speed passes and crashes we have been known to do! Dzl
Old 07-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #18
Shawn68z
RCC Apprentice

High speed passes are fine, as long as the distance between people/things, and the airplane is a safe distance.

I was more refering to the moron that landed his plane on the picknick table where the other pilots were eating their lunches!
Shawn68z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #19

Total Props: 57
"aren't we supposed to be having fun?"

Those of you who know me also know that I'm getting beaten over the head with this line due to my taking my duties as President seriously (closed one runway to comply with MAAC Safety Code and potential public safety problems, town ordering that the gate to the property be locked at all times, enforcement of club and MAAC safety rules...)

I think that it was Thomas Jefferson who first used the phrase "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

People tend to wrap "having fun" up with this philosophy as assume that it means that they can do what the please, where they please and when they please.

These people also didn't read TJ's writings where he says that one man's rights end when it meets another man's rights.

Readers are going to say "this is Canada not the US", but the same philosophy exists up here.

You have every right to be an idiot, don't expect anyone else to agree with you especialy the insurance company.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:43 AM   #20
Ejiro
RCC Apprentice

I am: Oti Oteri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
I just wonder where it is that they are getting away with it. Buildings right there, a road with cars moving on it real close, etc. My uneducated ear thought they were speaking German, but....

Looks like lots of fun, but so are a lot of other activities until someone gets hurt.

("Watch it, Kid! You'll put someone's eye out with that!")
Hi Folks,

Actually I know those guys; that was the club i belonged to in Bergen, Norway, before I relocated to Saudi Arabia just under two years ago. There was a group of them who were at the field every single day, rain or shine, flying or not, up various pranks. They are the ones that made the videos.

As for having an organized society with rules; they had rules; only that some people chose to follow them when it was convenient. In Norway the mentality (from my perspective anyway) is such that "all folks are equal, so what right do you have to tell me what to do? I can do whatever I want" So in such a society, there is little in the way of sanctions to keep the mischevios few in line.
As an example, you do nt even have to be a member of the club to fly there! I knew one or two young men at the time who were not members, but yet flew regularly, and they were never challenged by even the "club officials"
The field itself is behind the city's waste disposal facility (the industrial building you see in the background) and there are people who work there all the time. no very safe, but nothing untoward, as far as I am aware has happened. There were a few residential properties close by, and I recall one of the residents coming over once to ask tat we do not fly over his house.

All in all, in my opinion, the sensitivity of the location of this flying site should make it such that these sort of antics should not be engaged in due to the very high risk of loosing the site. this will spoil the fun for the great majority of the memebers of Norways biggest RC club.

I certainly hope I don't end up sounding holier than thou, but this sort of thing should be sanctioned.
Ejiro is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in