New to electric flight - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83
Re: New to electric flight

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Howard View Post
Hacker motor is a50 14-pole v2 no screeching noises, could be I am over propping ??
I think your identification of the motor is incomplete.

Usually, on the motor there will be a letter (eg. "A") after 14 and elsewhere on the motor will be a "xxx"rpm/V.

I and others can use ecalc or other online motor performance programs to advise what range of props you should be using with 6s .......and others have already suggested that you are using too big a prop or the wrong prop but a 36 amp draw is not a lot for this size motor so perhaps some other issue, such as best number of battery cells is involved.

Additional information:
Here is a link to some specs on the model:
http://graysonhobby.com/dynam-smoove-arf-balsa.html

A 17x12 prop is recommended, along with a 6s battery and a motor "G601 5030 kv400" which useful information. (Not familiar with this specific motor but the kv information useful)
Puzzling is the weight given for the plane: 2400 to 2500 grams which translates to 5.5 pounds, much less than the 8.5 pounds you quote.
Although the specs include a wingspan of 63 inches, wing area is not given; can you supply this or the root and tip chord length.

Last edited by michaely; 05-02-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: additional information
michaely is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
twistedge
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8, NX8
# of RCs: ½

Total Props: 30

I agree that we need more detail on the version of the motor... it's impossible to know if we're over propped without more info (like KV, or a link to the motor).

The Hacker A50-16 S V3 is 365KV and recommends 17x9 for 1210 Watts, so we'd be in the ballpark.

The Hacker A50 -14XS V3 520KV is simply too small for an 8.5lb plane.

Both are 14 pole motors.
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Howard View Post
If my esc has 12 degrees timing and motor is recommending 20-25 would that effect power output from the motor
Gary ; this is what I really like about the Castle Creations ; not sure if other brands detail this so much ; but on your computer screen Castle has a little "?" mark for each parameter setting ; which when clicked , very clearly explains what effect the setting does when above and below motor recommendations . Its like it has it own tutorial and you don't have to be an electrical engineer to understand it.

The unfortunate thing when new to buying Brushless motors and ESC's one does not really have the complete information available . I know I stumbled onto it after about 2 years into a total of 6-7 years of brushless running. I see so many local users look at the price tag , cell count and max amp draw and then buy.

Another example say on the motor go to Innov8tive Design and check the prop parameters on a specific motor say 40 series and see what I mean; as they have dozens of combinations right down to the brand of prop.

Hacker make a good motor but are too general ( in comparison) with suggested prop sizes and they don't
specify what brand of prop. Other considerations are type of aircraft , all up weight with batteries and type of flying .
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/images/...40%20Specs.htm

I just grabbed a link to one motor, hope it works.

Last edited by stegl; 05-02-2016 at 10:44 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in