Buyer Beware...? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:44 AM   #1
gus

Total Props: 0
Buyer Beware...?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I went to the Aurora Swap meet on Sunday. What a blast.

Anyways, I have a tale of woe, and thought I would share it for discussion, etc.

I have my first kit with Retracts, and wanted a retract servo. I have been waiting for the Aurora swap meet for a while, specifically hoping to get a retract servo. I found a dealer who had one marked at $25 (on green tape), but actually sold for $20. It was obviously second-hand, but I figured that $20 was not that much, and worth a risk. I joked with the table owner, and said I am sure that there is a guarantee on the servo, and his reply was "Any problem just come to any other swap meets, I am at all of them". Well, as I say, I knew that I was only risking $20, and that was OK.

As it happens, I also bought my first LED on-board EVM. Pretty LED lights were cool.

I got home, and plugged in both my Retract servo, and EVM in to an existing plane just to test the equipment. The Servo swung through 180deg, and flipping the "gear" switch, it swung 180deg the other way. "Perfect! I thought". Then I noticed the LED EVM, it was at 50%. While switching the gear, it went UP to 90%. Basically, when not being used, the Retract servo was consuming too much energy. I Unplugged it, turned everything on again, and my LED EVM was at 100%.

I disassembled the retract servo, and it was apparent that the pot had slipped from it's retainer clips, and was not actually being turned by the servo horn. The servo would turn the horn until it hit the mechanical stop at 180deg, and then just keep trying to push it further. I re-set the pot, and re-assembled the servo. It only has about 60deg travel now.

I guess the experienced people out there will have figured out out already. The servo is just a regular standard servo. It just appeared to be a retract servo because the pot was out.

So, two things. I spent $20 on a broken second hand standard servo that is not really even worth $2 now that I have "fixed" it. I would never trust it to anything on a plane because one of the two mounting clips for the pot is broken. If it was a retract servo it Would be worth $20 to me (and I would probably use it because gear failure is not really that big a thing).

The other thing, if the person who sold me the servo is "listening", perhaps we can have a chat and get this resolved *before* the next swap meet. There should be enough in this post for the seller to recognise the transaction. I do believe it was an innocent mistake, and that because the servo travel was 180degrees, it *looked* like a retract servo.

On the other hand, it is only $20, and I WAS aware that buying 2nd hand is a risk.

Well, I wonder what sellers will think in future when I wonder around the tables with a test-bed for servos? Also, that $10 EVM has already paid for itself, and it's only been working for a couple of minutes.

Well all, take what you can from this story. I am open to suggestions on how I can avoid this in future.

gus
gus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
gus

Stupefied....

I have been PM'd by seller already, and resolution is in progress. :P

Go figure.

gus
Old 03-30-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
That's nice to hear.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:35 PM   #4
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Now thats the kind of story I like to hear, one with a good ending. You did exactly the right thing Gus by not disclosing the seller's name until you first tried to resolve the problem privately. As you say, it was probably just and innocent mistake and is good to have it settled this way!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:02 AM   #5
SpaceCowboy
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
FAVOURITE - JR X9303
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
Re: Stupefied....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus
I have been PM'd by seller already, and resolution is in progress. :P

Go figure.

gus
I am not surprised by what happened as the seller is an honest up front kinda guy who buys & sells often on Rc canada and at most swap meets.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
gus

Hi all.

I am trying to decide whether my original post conveys the spirit of my feelings. Although part of my motivation for posting was an attempt to contact the seller, the other part was an honest plea for assistance. I am a relative novice (started flying last season), and the Aurora swap meet was the first one I attended. I do not yet have a feel for the etiquette of 2nd hand buying/selling in the RC arena. Also, I am a South African ex-pat, and us South Africans tend to have a lower degree of instinctive trust in "human goodness" (e.g. Canadians have "honour" systems at lots of places... would never work in South Africa).

So, my other question really is: In future, can I be a "naive" buyer, and rely on the good faith of the seller if there is a problem?

So, in reviewing my original post, and considering the outcome, the only change I am going to make is add a "?" to the end of the subject. I am feeling pretty good about the whole thing (except I am now looking for a retract servo.... , and my faith in people has been raised a notch.

I have never intended to suggest that the seller was trying to rip people off, in fact, I had a short, but most pleasant chat with him at the time, and he has been very sincere in subsequent communication. It really is/was an honest mistake. I will buy from him again...

Thanks all for your comments.

gus
Old 03-31-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Gus,

Your question is not an easy one to answer and I can only answer based on my personal experience.

We are a tight knit community here on RCCanada and a lot of the folks here are my personal friends. Beause of this fact and in the many dealings I have had here, a great amount of trust has developed within this community. I have found it is extremely rare that someone here would knowingly "rip you off!" As in your case, honest mistakes have been made and setteled quickly and fairly and I do not hesitate to do business here. Now, the key word in my statement is "here!" Other forems like E-Bay are a whole different story. Althought regulated, there are those who may try to may try to sell less than adaquate goods. So your addage in this type of buying and selling forem is indeed, "Buyer Beware!" There is nothing wrong with inquiring about the reputation of the seller in any forem. Here at RCC there is a box for "Trader Feedback" in the signature area of each person registered here to help you make that determination.

I will have been flying RC models for 13 years this year and I get around to numbers of swapmeets each year and have gotten to know a large number of folks. Swapmeets are put on by specific clubs and those clubs have records of those who rent tables at these events, so in case of a problem, its usually not too difficult to track someone down when a problem occurs. And i have found that the club who organized the meet will galdly help you in these matters. For the most part, I have always had great success in purchasing items at swapmeets.

As you get more experience in RC you will learn what to look for in a used item. Until then, it would be of benifit for you to have a friend, someone with the experience who you can trust, to help you, especially in the purchase of large dollar items.

It would be a perfect world where everyone could be trusted when it comes to money matters, but as you know, this is not a perfect world. However I dare say that RCCanada is as near a perfect community as one can get, at least as far as buying and selling is concerned in my opinion!

I don't know if I have answered your question Gus but I would not hesitate to do business here on RCCanada and at swapmeets, but elsewere ... do your homework, use reasonable caution, and never spend more on a used item than you can afford to lose. I personally have had good success...for the most part!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:51 PM   #8
rcguy
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dan Speers
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12

I think we sold you the on-board volt meter. We had about 4 of them at $10 each (we were the first booth inside the door). I'm glad the EVM worked out OK. If you ever have a problem the importer/distributer is MAXX Products (MPI) http://www.maxxprod.com/.

Dan Speers
RC Guys radio control models
div. Mobile Airships Inc.
www.RCGuys.com
519-756-1110
MAAC #42283
rcguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:58 AM   #9
gus

Resolved

Just to let all know that the seller has resolved the issue to more than just my satisfaction.

gus
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in