Old 03-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #21
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Randy wrote:"just ask him the number stamped on his motors and you will figure out why there so low "

Randy could you please explain what this means, as I have no idea what it is that your saying with this numbers stamped on his motors thing! Sorry, but I guess I am just a bit slow! Does it have to do with the age of the engine because it has a low manufacturer's number??

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:33 PM   #22
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Boy if you cant figure this out

go figure
Old 03-17-2005, 10:27 PM   #23
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Randy,

NO you didn't miss any test flights. You are correct that I have not flown mine yet. I was basing my comments on my observations over the last two flying seasons taking notice of what guys who were flying DA50s had installed and how they performed.

I didn't counter post any comments concerning Steves comments, I acknowledge that his experience with DA's far surpassess mine.

What you haven't got the Kan'tana done yet.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:44 PM   #24
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Re: da 50 prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawnty
Hi Gary,
Whatever. Dispite what the manual says, if you actually think that 22x8 is a decent prop for that motor, you're giving bad advice. I should of been more specific in my original post. I used a 22x8 Menz for about 2 flights on my first DA50. The prop would start to rip just as the plane would leave the ground. Even a 23x8 'Menz' will make a lot of noise once the motor is broken in.

Steve
Hello Steve;

Steve, I honestly did not mean to disrespect your opinion. I was going by what my friends recommended to me as well as others and by what the DA50 manual said. I have absolutely no experience with this engine at all. I am at the mercy of the people who have used this engine and by what the manual tells me. I was always under the impression that if you do not follow the instructions given with a particular item ( the manual ) that one could void the warrenty! Perhaps that is wrong thinking, I do not know???

I do not mean to give anyone bad advise. How am I suppose to know that Desert Aircraft would print a manual with recommendations for their product and those recommendations are NOT correct or is BAD advise??? After all, they are the ones who manufactured this engine and provide the warrenty for it. For a warrenty to be honored, I thought that their recommendations had to be followed or I could void the warrenty! Also, what I quoted in my previous post on prop recomendations, was directly from the DA50 Manual! It honestly was, so what you are saying is that Desert Aircraft is giving bad advise??? Can you see my delema??

You do have the experience with this engine and I did NOT know that either, so again, all I have to go by is what folks like you tell me or as the old saying goes, "When all else fails, read the instructions!" And now your telling me that the instructions are wrong or basically flawed!

I certainly do not want to wreak a brand new engine. The MSC props were highly recommeded to me so I purchase three props for it...1 @ 22"X 8, 1 @ 22"X 10 and 1 @ 23"X 8. These were not cheep and I hate to think that I have wasted my money on props that are not sufficient, or may cause harm to my engine and now I have to go out and buy a couple more!

Now Steve, are you saying that I should NOT use the 22" X 8 Prop? What about the 22"X 10 and the 23"X 8? Would you recommend that I use either one for break-in or are they too small in your estimation also? I would appreciate you giving me your experienced opinion.

I am really getting puzzled by this whole thing and am not sure what to do now! Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:09 AM   #25
sarawnty
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen J
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 0
DA50

Hi Gary,
This winter has been way too long
All I was saying to 'be careful' using a 22x8 prop. The manual offers a wide range of props that can be used. Also performance of different brands of props will vary greatly. I was more referring to post break-in use of a Menz 22x8 prop. I just found from my experience that the motor revved way more than it had to with that prop, even for break-in. So I took it off after 2 flights and put on a 24x8 Menz and made sure that I didn't lug the engine down during break-in. If you call Dave Johnson at Desert Aircraft, he'll tell you that THE prop to use post break-in is a 24x8. The engine can easily turn larger props than a 22x8. I have an almost new Menz 22x8 for sale if any one would like.
Regards,
Steve
Old 03-18-2005, 08:59 AM   #26
Brian Facey

Hey Gary
I think you are making the same mistake as I did when first reading Randy's post. I mixed up Steve Johnston with Dave Johnson at DA. I thought, why would a low serial number be a good thing for Dave Johnson? Not selling many engines?

Actually, Randy is referring to Steve as having the very early DA's with a low serial number therefore he has a lot of experience with those engines.
Brian Facey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:24 AM   #27
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Just to try and clear-up a bit of confusion here;
There is nothing wrong with Steves advice or Gary's advice.
I have been breaking in my engine with an MSC 22X8, and it is a perfect break-in prop. I have a 23X8 MSC which I have tried, but the engine was not broken in enough, and the prop was bogging the engine down.
This is consistant with what Mike Clemmons told me, he advice was dead-on for his props.
The props Steve is using are Menz, and although I have not tried them, I believe they have a lower load on the engine for their size.
If Steve says that a Menz 22X8 is too small, I would follow his advice 100%!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:38 PM   #28
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Brian remind me to buy you a burger at my contest.
I got on Pm from one guy and just shock my head..glad you posted this because it made up for it.

Think about this one..all the DA pilots in the world..and to have something like 006 motor to me would be a honor if you ask me

Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Facey
Hey Gary
I think you are making the same mistake as I did when first reading Randy's post. I mixed up Steve Johnston with Dave Johnson at DA. I thought, why would a low serial number be a good thing for Dave Johnson? Not selling many engines?

Actually, Randy is referring to Steve as having the very early DA's with a low serial number therefore he has a lot of experience with those engines.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #29
Brian Facey

I am going to hold you to that burger Randy as I really like burgers
Brian Facey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:42 PM   #30
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Brian,

Hold out for a cheesburger!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in