Building Leading Edges - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
homme de fer
RCC Contributor

I am: Marc A

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Propworm,

Thanks for the info. I did a little practice glueing with some scrap balsa using CA to see if I will get any sag at the leading edge; I did not. So, I think I am safe building both wings without a sub leading edge or chamfor.

That said, the next plane I do, a Lazy Ace bipe, will have the sub leading edge as I believe it will make for stronger sheeting.

And finally, you're right about all the techniques concerning building. I enjoy building and don't mind learning all the do's and don't from the people who have made the mistakes.

Once again, thanks to everyone who put in their two cents and stay tuned, I am about to start a contraversy about Robart hinges vs nylon.
homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #12

Total Props: 57
I fly a Lazy Ace currently both on floats and land. I even use it as a glider tug at times. What size Lazy Ace are you building?

This is the first covering job of the same Lazy Ace. Note the open cockpits and upright engine. This was many many gallons of fuel ago and it still is flying strong though modified over the years. Just a note the wings were built stock as per the plans and have never failed or given any problems.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~denpratt2/Lazy%20Ace%201.html

The dark colors were just to hard to see especially in the later evening. So I recovered it. Engine and cockpits still the same.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~denpratt2/Lazy%20Ace%202.html

On floats.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~denpratt2/Lazy%20Ace%203.html

http://home.cogeco.ca/~denpratt2/Lazy%20Ace%206.html

This is the latest variant notice the inverted motor and I made a cowl for it. Also I installed a Topflite Texan canopy (because I had one around) The cradle on the top wing can carry up to 3 meter gliders and it is powered with a YS 1.20

I just got back from the cottage where I flew it on floats you can check out the pictures on RCCanada at this thread link

https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=35465

If you need any information on the construction and set up of the Lazy Ace when you build it I can help.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #13
homme de fer
RCC Contributor

I am: Marc A

Total Props: 0
Oh Ya! I fell in love with that plane when I was perusing the RCM Magazine site for ideas. I plan on building the same one as your's; the 76" size.

I'm hoping to get around to it in November/December and already have a few questions (like how do I build a glassed cowl, engine size).

Your's in beautiful, Ive seen it before in funfly pictures out of Windsor; the picture of the yellow Lazy Ace pretty much solidified my decision to build it.

Expect alot of questions this winter
homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
Another method I use is, after the leading edge is glued on, bridge a metal straight edge, upright across the ribs, at the back of the leading edge. Take a piece of balsa 1/8 to 1/4 in wide, that fits between the ribs, doesn't have to be a precision fit. Glue it to the back of the leading edge, and up against the metal straight edge. This is where your leading edge sheeting will sit. Takes a while as you have to do it between each pair of ribs. This is a labour of love so there's no hurry anyway.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #15

Total Props: 57
Super Strong Wing for Lazy Ace

This method can be used for any sheeted wing. Sorry about the crude sketches.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twain1_182.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	26266   Click image for larger version

Name:	twain2_676.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	26267  
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in