Painting - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
igor27
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Painting

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am using spray paint to paint one of my planes and the paint contains acetone does this mean that the paint is fuel proof? i got it at the auto store it is the same stuff they use for painting engine blocks.
igor27 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
It is probably ok for up to 15 % nitro. Your best bet is to try some first on a scrap piece and then apply fuel to it for a bit to be sure. If you are using it on a Spad, you probably don't want the extra weight of paint.

Cassat
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Ed Smith

Quote:
Your best bet is to try some first on a scrap piece and then apply fuel to it for a bit to be sure.
Not a true test. Hot burnt fuel coming out of the exhaust has a different paint stripping ability than cold fresh fuel.

To answer the original question. Acetone in paint does not guarantee a fuel proof paint

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

The ingrediant that I look for is petroleum distalates (spelling). If it can be thinned or removed with these products I stay away from it. Testing on a scrap piece is good advice and I usually paint and let dry for a day before testing.
If it contains acetone/ketone I usually find you are okay to 15% and lots of times higher.
John
Old 05-15-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12
Hi
I wrote to Jeremy Furguson of , At The Paint Spectrum of Model Aviation and I was instructed to use PPG Omni series paint . It is a base coat paint that needs a clear coat . And he said that its not that expensive Even I m looking into this paint to paint my Tiger 60 If you read Model Aviation , the recent issue you can read about it

Mike
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in