General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
Captkev
RCC Noob

I am: Kevin W

Total Props: 0
Help needed on new paint Job

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys, I need some info on paint techniques. Just finished a 40 size Beaver, which I have primed and spray painted with CTC "Krylon" paint. I used this paint after talking to a few guys up at our flying field last summer, when we were all talking what paints to use. More than a few guys said they used the CTC Krylon, had good success with it, and fuel did not bother it. Looking back now, I was a real dummy, not bothering to check it out with a test pc. You guessed it, its not fuel proof any which way. So here i sit now, with a beautifully finished fuse and wing, that when fuel is brushed on with a brush, a clean cloth will wipe off the paint. Backing up a bit, my Beaver is kit built, all balsa sheet covered, glassed with West System epoxy over 3/4 oz cloth. Previously I have used Luster Coat spray from the LHS, but thought using this system I could really lower down my cost. Found out this morn that the paint surface was not good when I tried to clean off some marks with Alcohol and it dulled and smeared the finish. Can someone tell me, would spraying a clear coat over this paint job make it fuel proof, and if so what kind. Any and all advice appreciated guys. I have put so much time into this project, and right now starting the engine would destroy the paint.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Hi don't know much about CTC Krylon,but I have heard guys on here say this paint needs time to cure. Yes fuel proof we need to know which fuel as what is fuel proof for Gas is not fuel proof to glow fuel. So only thing I can suggest is warm room well ventilated and atleast a week or two to cure(have heard some say six weeks)which would be a better choice.If at that time it still marks sorry but recover time !!
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c

Oh want to add if someone comes up with something like acrylic varathane, water based . Don't get me wrong I am not ruling it out but the paint still needs to cure.. Everyone has seen cars with the clear peeling away from the colour. (Not factory finishes thats another problem) most people think that is improper sandind etc,wrong PAINT Wasn't CURED solvent in the base coat literally pushed the clear off ( not the total technical answer but you get the idea)

Old 02-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Captkev
RCC Noob

hifly2104, thanks for the info. Should clarify my original posting. After reading it again tonight, maybe I am giving the impression I used Lusterkote paint on the Beaver. Not so, I meant that I had used it before, but useing the Krylon now on this project. I had a few pcs of scrap that had some Krylon sprayed on a few weeks ago, and even that came off after painting with fuel. But maybe like you say, I will have to wait a few more weeks to retest again. The plane is inside in heat, so will dry out in time. I have been surfing all the old postings tonight and it seems most guys are in favour of a water base clear coat, or flecto Varathane. I could also go to LHS and pick up some Lustercoat Clear Coat if it would go on over this Krylon? Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Krylon is laquer, and is not fuel proof. Even after curing. (It cures VERY fast)

You can try to clear-coat it with something like varathane, be sure to test an area first.
Make sure the surface is clean, and a quick sanding with 400 wet would hlp with adhesion.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12
Hi Capkev
I would like to add my 2 cents worth . I ve used Sico 535 , which I perchase from a autopaint shop its an excellent paint and totally fuel proof and yes its expensive . I believe that its a poly paint . You can find out by going to the Sico site and than contacting them to find if there is a distributer in youre area . This is really good paint , Its industrial , just under aircraft grade . Just trying to help

Michel ( Mike )
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Captkev
RCC Noob

ronm, been going back into all the old postings tonight and checking back here every so often. Seems to be an ongoing thing with lots of other guys, so I don't feel quite as bad now. A lot of guys seem to go for the water based varathane, so I am leaning that way for now. You seem to have some experience with the Krylon, I did not realize it was a laquer, no mention of this anywhere on the can, but does contain everything I thought would make it fuel proof;(acetone,toluene,propane,acetate,butane, zylene,etc & more) Would the water base be ok over the Krylon in your opinion. Thanks for the comeback.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm
Krylon is laquer, and is not fuel proof. Even after curing. (It cures VERY fast)

You can try to clear-coat it with something like varathane, be sure to test an area first.
Make sure the surface is clean, and a quick sanding with 400 wet would hlp with adhesion.
I would take it when you say it is lacquer you mean acyrlic not nitrocellulous.

As Ron has stated then adhesion is the big factor when applying something over it. Unfortunately sanding is not the answer an adhesion promotor is. Well that is out of the dictionary of auto refinishing. For what you want to do I would use the water base clear. If it is truely that (Water Base)then it will be fuel proof. Do as Ron has suggested do a test piece and let it dry for a week. When I said heated and ventilated . The ventilation is as much essential as the heat as fresh air will help it cure
Old 02-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Captkev
RCC Noob

Hi Mike, appeciate the info, but sad to say I dont own any spray painting equipment, or even an air brush. I am kind of limited to spray can paint. Thanks though.[/b]
Old 02-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c

I believe the water base varathane is available at Home Hardware or CTC in spray bombs
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in