But......? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
EST1982
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Question But......?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was always under the impression that if you have say, a 10T Pinion & a 32T Spur Gear and want to attain a higher Top Speed you would install higher or slightly higher Tooth Pinion......is that wrong?

The reason I ask is I was looking at the Gearing Chart Online for the Brushless E-Maxx and it say's...

-40mph+ (20T-P/68T-S) on 4s 5000+mAh
-50mph+ (17T-P/68T-S) on 6s 5000+mAh
-65mph+ (28T-P/65T-S) on 6s 5000+mAh

Actually, now that I have this written in front of me I'm starting to wonder, is it because of the Li-Po Voltage difference?

From 40mph-50mph are they suggesting it go Down 3 Teeth to keep Temps down, taking into account that the extra Voltage will attain the desired speed without having the extra 3 Teeth?

But then if that is the case then why is the 65mph+ Gearing so high it's final count is 7 Teeth higher then the 40mph+ set up.....?
It must get hot.

Somehow I'm confused but I'm not ,lol

Any light shed for me would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance!
EST1982 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
KingCamber
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Derek P

comparison is confusing because battery output has changed, 6s battery is going to provide more power to the pinion from my understanding. So when you go from 4s to 6s, you can actually gear it down a bit and still get an increase in top end due to the higher power output of the battery. I am not really a big lipo battery guru but I am pretty sure this is how it works.

It works like riding a bike, your feet are the pinion and your back wheel and gears are your spur.

When you put your front gear on your crank into the big ring you get higher top end, as well as putting the rear gear to a smaller one.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
BigR
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCamber View Post
comparison is confusing because battery output has changed, 6s battery is going to provide more power to the pinion from my understanding. So when you go from 4s to 6s, you can actually gear it down a bit and still get an increase in top end due to the higher power output of the battery. I am not really a big lipo battery guru but I am pretty sure this is how it works.

It works like riding a bike, your feet are the pinion and your back wheel and gears are your spur.

When you put your front gear on your crank into the big ring you get higher top end, as well as putting the rear gear to a smaller one.
You nailed it.

Also keep in mind that the Traxxas gearing levels for 65 mph is ment for short periods on level asphalt. Anything else and the truck is likely to blow up.
BigR is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
EST1982
RCC Junior Contributor

Awesome, much thanks for the reply's fellas.
EST1982 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in