CHEVPRO
RCC Contributor

I am: Todd N
Radio of choice:
Dx9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4
Quality arf manufacturers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So, I have purchased a new plane from a "quality" manufacturer through a "reputable" dealer.
According to both I need to cut, remove and glue a new piece in to repair poor assembly from the factory.

Is this acceptable?

I'm kinda pissed about it.

Last edited by CHEVPRO; 07-25-2014 at 07:55 AM.
CHEVPRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39
Re: Quality arf manufacturers

Was this information available before your purchase?

Would be kind of nice if they modified it before shipping to the end user.
Only my thoughts.

Will they accept a return?

Hope this all works out to your satisfaction/trust.

-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Personally, and based solely on the limited details that you provided, I don't believe that this is acceptable. When I make a purchase, regardless of the item, I expect it to perform as advertised, without requiring modification. Not everything that we buy is going to be 100% perfect, I understand that. Manufacturing or design defects do creep in, however, in those circumstances I would expect the manufacturer or dealer/distributer to highlight those issues before hand and offer the item at a reduced cost to mitigate the defect. It then becomes my responsibility to determine whether or not the savings are worth my time to make corrections.

I would return the ARF to your dealer and request either a new same kit, if subsequent examples were corrected, ask for a reduced price on the original kit, or request your money back to purchase an ARF from a different manufacturer.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

You are the manufacture of one of these ARFs with a fault. You have made 250 units before the fault got back to you. So you make it known that this fault exists and suggest a fix for it.
design faults and manufacturing faults in full size aircraft run into the hundreds on some designs. For example the Rotax 80 HP 912 engine has over 150 mods and special inspections. How many 3D type A/C with that long spindly landing gear have you seen it tore off on a normal landing. If you want something built perfect to your standards build it your self.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVPRO View Post
So, I have purchased a new plane from a "quality" manufacturer through a "reputable" dealer.
According to both I need to cut, remove and glue a new piece in to repair poor assembly from the factory.

Is this acceptable?

I'm kinda pissed about it.
No, it is NOT acceptable for a new item.

However; if you paid a GREATLY reduced price for a Factory 'Seconds'... sure.

If these two people truely were 'Reputable' and selling 'Quality' merchandise, they would know that.

How much did you pay? and for 'What' product?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
You are the manufacture of one of these ARFs with a fault. You have made 250 units before the fault got back to you. So you make it known that this fault exists and suggest a fix for it.
design faults and manufacturing faults in full size aircraft run into the hundreds on some designs. For example the Rotax 80 HP 912 engine has over 150 mods and special inspections. How many 3D type A/C with that long spindly landing gear have you seen it tore off on a normal landing. If you want something built perfect to your standards build it your self.
Hello Kip: Not sure where you're going with this? There is no way that I'll accept the comparison between manufacturing and design issues on something as complicated as a full sized aircraft and a model aircraft ARF. Additionally, if I purchased a brand new C-172, flew it home from the dealer and then learned of a gear issue, the issue would be addressed, immediately, without cost to me. Case in point, my two year old travel trailer had an issue with the main door latch - the manufacturer advised me by letter of the problem and I went to my local dealer to have the latch replaced, at no cost to me.

If we as modellers (or consumers) accept mediocre service, mediocre quality, mediocre support - mediocre will become the "new" quality standard.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

Well said Peter. Even in the short time I've been in the hobby the changes in the products are evident. Standard protocol for some of the guys I know, is to re-enforce this and that. With other products the manufacturer calls it "designed obsolescence".

The possibility of lowering the manufacturing design and standards is often done for the bottom line of the Company getting a product built. The Consumer is often treated like a chump. Not the end of the world with a toy airplane, but ask a executive with Firestone or Chevrolet!

By not standing up and calling a Spade a spade, your letting the "Man" dictate what is acceptable. ARFs are todays "Easy Button". You can hide a lot of BS under covering.... and as we've come to accept it, kits have been swept away, probably never to be seen again.

I'm not trying to come down on the people who like to fly and don't have time, tools or talent to build their own planes. I'm currently dealing on a plane, and found out that this particular discontinued model came in three options. Kit, Ready to cover and ARF. In this scenario a blind man could see where the company was heading....

While I'm not a Pro build by any stretch of the imagination, it doesn't take too many failures to figure out what and where any plane is weak. To have a Company send out some patch to fix a plane that already covered is a Band-Aid, the issue is still there.

Just my opinion...
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
mrrandyman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 10

I'd be a little more annoyed that the dealer did not make me aware of the needed modification prior to my purchase.
At least I could have made a decision at that point whether to purchase the arf or not.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

I'm not saying it is acceptable, but with the little info provided I'm just playing devil's advocate. There is always some work to be done to an ARF, hence the term ALMOST Ready to Fly. It's not really a defect per se, but on my last 3DHS plane the expectation was that you would go over all the joints in the motor box with glue...is this just part of the ARF build process or is it something that should have been done at the factory???

I'm relatively new to this hobby, but most of the guys I talk to in my club are doing quite a lot of work to ARFs before flying them. Everything from perceived defects to design flaws etc...it seems like most have them. A very common example is adding further structure to landing gear mount areas. Even the covering normally needs touched up, I understand why, but I also think people buying an ARF might not have a wide selection of build tools such as a covering iron.

I also have to remind myself that with the offshore manufacturing many of the "good"
ARFs are cheaper than what you could build it for.

All that said, if you have to cut off a structural piece such as a motor box and glue a new one in, I can certainly understand your frustration! Any particular reason you don't want to disclose any further details?
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVPRO View Post
....Is this acceptable?....
We really need to know more about the extent of work reqd. How much time/money reqd. to rework?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
....There is always some work to be done to an ARF,...
Definitely true. Though not called up in the manual I usually replace all the factory CA hinges with pin type. Time consuming but worth the effort. Many other mods that previous users have found helpful I would consider par for the course.

If it takes very little money ($20 or so worth of wood or something) I am OK with spending a fair number of hours to step up the quality of the finished product.

Not sure of the OP's background but I have built many kits in the past and maybe don't expect my AFR to be "plug-n-play" vs somebody who has never built before. YMMV
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in