Gel Cell Battery Prices - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
Gel Cell Battery Prices

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It seems there is a wide range of pricing for seemingly similar products.

When I fitted out my flight box, I wanted a GOOD battery to run my starter, etc. so I went to the supplier I use at work. 12 volt 7Amp hour gell cell, like we use in UPS applications. Beauty! $65.00 plus PST (not PST exempt because it's for 'internal use' and the GST comes back.

Well, the darned thing is getting real 'week in the poop' after only four seasons.

Anyway, I have a UPS at home that uses identical YUASA batteries, two of them. Checked pricing, three locations; yup $65.00 per. Checked a USA web site, US$18.00 for the same identical battery, shipped only to the lower 48.(???WTF???)

Dropped in to Sayal on Matheson Blvd in Mississauga yesterday to see what they have. Off brand, made in Taiwan or China, identical specs printed on the side: $12.99. ("How many do you want?")

So, if they only last half as long, I'm still saving 50%!

Go figure....

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: Gel Cell Battery Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
So, if they only last half as long, I'm still saving 50%!

Go figure....
I took the same attitude when ordering some electrics for a foamy recently. Bought them from UnitedHobbies.com in Hong Kong. I'm paying half the price, but if I get 3/4 the performance, I think I'm still getting a great deal. I think I'm actually paying closer to 1/4 of the price. I'll be sure to post what I think when they arrive...

The expensive ones are likely still made in China or Taiwan, they just likely have some tighter factory specs, and have gone through twice as many middle-men!

Ben

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
brad-a
RCC Junior Contributor

You can buy them at Princess Auto for 9.99 including the YUASA brand.
brad-a is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-a
Now you are REALLY making me feel bad!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Credence

Coming from someone who deals with a lot of Asian-pacific imports, I can tell you first hand that many products are made by the same factories and then branded under a mind boggling assortment of names.

Most Asian manufacturers offer custom branding services to their clients. This is especially true with Lithium manufacturers and motor manufacturers / ESC manufacturers.

Typically, bigger companies, if they order in large enough quantity, can have the same factory produce the motors using the same equipment/technology, but customize it to their needs and then brand it under their own name in any given country.

Price is not always an indicator of quality in my experience. I've always found it amusing to see people compare two motors made by the same manufacturer with different brand names and then claim one is superior in quality because it was twice the price. Nope!

There are, of course, a few manufacturers that still do things them selves. AXI, Hacker, Plettenberg and Neu come to mind that produce and brand their own motors, but you pay a premium for it.
Most manufacturing is moving off-shore. It's sad, because it takes jobs away from our communities. But, at the same time, from a business standpoint, the quality and volume output of Asian factories puts us to shame, and when you consider the costs that they sell it, well, it's simply A LOT more profitable to work with companies overseas than have it made here at home, ESPECIALLY with the exceedingly high and still climbing costs of living.

This, of course, is not unique to the RC world either. Take a look at the lower or value priced tools and hardware sold by Rona, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, Sears, etc. A lot of them are exactly the same, just different brand names! Job Mate, Power Fist, etc. Same manufacturer, same tools. Sure, the quality isn't the same as Dewalt tools, but when it does the same job at 1/4 of the price, who cares?
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credence
Sure, the quality isn't the same as Dewalt tools, but when it does the same job at 1/4 of the price, who cares?
The true definition of quality is "Conformance to requirements". If it (whatever "it" may be) does the job for you at a level that meets your satisfaction, then "it" is a quality item or service. Just as a Kenworth wouldn't be suitable as a Limo for a formal dance, a Cadillac is lousy for hauling pigs. In their own niche each is "Quality", but outside it....

Old 02-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Credence

Very true Dave.

If you showed up to a real job site with a Power Fist drill, you'd probably be laughed at. And, certainly, truth be told, the drill simply won't take the abuse a Dewalt drill would in that same environment (ask me how I know ).

But, at the same time, the Power Fist drill does the same job the Dewalt drill would do at the home work bench exceedingly well when it's not being dropped from the top of a 50 foot scaffolding onto solid concrete.. (whoops.. ).

If used as they were intended and within their specified range, they operate and usually exceed the expectations of the operator, so in this regard, you could say you're getting a quality item for your money.
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
You could try this also comes with 2 different chargers built in, and WE say make an offer

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Portable12-v-Batt...QQcmdZViewItem
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz

I bought a similar one @ CTC when they came on sale. (OK, so I'm cheap!) For all the reasons stated in the Ebay listing.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-a
Are they new?
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in