old (fibreclassics) kangaroo questions - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Re: old (fibreclassics) kangaroo questions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplant00 View Post
Sorry but when is Wingham jets
look 4 posts down on the main page...

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #12

Total Props: 57

Hi Andrew,
I also had an original Kangaroo, mine was very light, to the point that when Dean picked it up he asked me "did you put all the parts in" LOL.
it was powered by a RAM750 as well. Dean is correct, have a positive angle on the ground, but don't go to much or you really run the risk of touching the nose gear first on landing, if you do that, you will get into the dreaded Kangaroo hop which just worsen's with each bounce until such a time that it won't bounce anymore because well, all the bouncy bits have fallen off!
I didn't use a gyro on mine and had no problems on pavement, I had a slight amount of toe in on the mains. Mine didn't have brakes as it would remain still on pavement with the engine at idle as per rules.
I had the 1/4" of reflex on the elevons, and I had my elevons powered with 8231 digital's which were fine, but as Dean suggests, 8411's would be perfect. I had the speed brake on mine as well, it seems to me I had it set up with a "servo slow" function so that it took about 3 or 4 seconds to completely deploy, the first time I dropped it without servo slow, the airplane went nearly vertical. If it comes down nice and slow you won't notice any trim change.
I had a lot of fun with mine, it finally ended up in New York where the new owner put over 400 flights on it!
Great airplanes, I think I liked the original better than the all composite one to be honest!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Thanks for the replies... much appreciated!

As for reflex, that means having both wing surfaces (are they elevons? Or ailervators?) slightly up past neutral - is that right?

AJC

Old 03-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
RC_MAN
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10

Yes on the reflex.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Well, I am on track to get this thing flying for Wingham jets.

Servos installed... thanks to Ron, I have a wing tube!

Dumped a 2 litre bottle of pop down the sink to get a fuel tank (seriously, I dont drink too much soda )

My MAP retracts will fit. I have a set of Behotec main struts that will also work... will just need to get a nose wheel strut and wheel (and mains wheels/brakes). I have enough robart stuff to hook up brakes and air system.

I better make it down on Friday early enough to get several test flights on it - Gaston is bringing his Roo' as well and can help me, but I imagine a few more of you guys who have Kangaroo experience will also be there to assist if need be?

This is going to be cool! It was this very same model (with a JPX turbine if I am not mistaken? Or was it already a RAM 750 Gaston?) that first sparked my interest in tuebine jets, back in the late 90's when I first met Gaston at the Cambrian RC field.

AJC

Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Andrew, I'm happy to see the wing tube arrived...good luck with your 'Roo.....Ron
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Andrew, I'm happy to see the wing tube arrived...good luck with your 'Roo.....Ron
Ron, it came last week, I sent you a letter as well

I just ordered what I needed to complete this thing from Altecare... mainly some wheels/brakes and Festo parts.

This is a fairly low cost turbine jet effort.

The total cost RTF will be well under $2000, that includes what I paid for the turbine, the airframe, new and used RC gear (servos are new, the rest I had, new batteries) and the most expensive part of the whole thing is what it cost me for the retracts/wheels/brakes...

This will also be the 3rd turbine airframe that used to belong to Gaston B that I will be flying... first the AV8R, then my Reaction R54 and the Roo.

He has a CAI Razor (the smallest of the 3, I think its the Razor) he wants me to buy next... if my Wren MKIII @ 14 lbs is enough it might be flying next year

AJC

Old 03-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #18

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
Ron, it came last week, I sent you a letter as well

I just ordered what I needed to complete this thing from Altecare... mainly some wheels/brakes and Festo parts.

This is a fairly low cost turbine jet effort.

The total cost RTF will be well under $2000, that includes what I paid for the turbine, the airframe, new and used RC gear (servos are new, the rest I had, new batteries) and the most expensive part of the whole thing is what it cost me for the retracts/wheels/brakes...

This will also be the 3rd turbine airframe that used to belong to Gaston B that I will be flying... first the AV8R, then my Reaction R54 and the Roo.

He has a CAI Razor (the smallest of the 3, I think its the Razor) he wants me to buy next... if my Wren MKIII @ 14 lbs is enough it might be flying next year

AJC

Hi Andrew,
I had a Razor it's a great jet designed around the AMT Mercury. I doubt 14lbs of thrust will be enough out of it though. It was the smallest turbine jet of the series from CAI. There was one smaller though called the Raven, same type and look, but for ducted fan, then the Razor, Raptor, and Predator. My Razor was nice for sure, will do 200 with the Mercury, but I doubt the Wren would be enough. One of the reasons the Mercury worked really well in the Razor was it has an extremely high exhaust gas velocity compared to most turbines.
I still have a Raptor and I love it, the Raptor was definitely the home run airplane from CAI. I'd love to find a 2nd one for a spare!
Jeremy
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #19
Ted Anton
RCC Contributor

I am: Ted A
Radio of choice:
spectrum
# of RCs: 27

Total Props: 0

Hey Andrew

Shoot me an email , I have somthing you may be interested in

Thanks

Ted
Ted Anton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #20
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Well, I have the MAP retracts installed with the brake lines, and all "plumbing". What a mess working in that fuselage.. very dark and tight, esecially once the fuel tank is in.

For some reason one of my retracts doenst want to "unlock" and come down... seems to be binding. Hopefully it wasnt damaged when the jet they were originally in crashed. Will look at it later today.

I also have the fuel system installed.

Have to hook up the steering now, and then run the extensions for the rudder and elevon servos up to the receiver.

Its coming along faster than I expected.

AJC

edit: gear working fine now.. one of mu tie wraps for the brake line was interfering with the gear retracting and making it hard for the air cylinder to unlock... easy fix. Its amazing how such a small thing can make a $400 set of retracts not work.

Last edited by AJCoholic; 04-06-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: update
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in