Thanks Thunder Power - Sebart Pilatus PC-21 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 09-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
ogopogo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John M
Radio of choice:
FrSky Horus 12S
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 12
Thanks Thunder Power - Sebart Pilatus PC-21

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
For whatever reason you have parted ways with Sebart, I thank you for the 40% discount on this gem. The Sebart Pilatus PC-21 provides a larger than expected platform for a 50e size motor. I have chosen the OS 5025-375 and am in the process of verifying prop selection (16x12 ?). Lifting the canopy I find I can lay my arm in the bay. What a treat to set up. I was testing the front retract (no wing attached) when the motor snorted a couple of times and the magic white smoke came up from the CC ICE 75. That I will have to follow up. I replaced with my CC ICE 100 and there have been no further issues.
I took this to the field to maiden on Sunday but wind gusts of 33 kmh persuaded me otherwise. Hopefully this week will provide an opportunity after work (that may be moot ... BBY).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mine.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	215573   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC-21b.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	215574   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC-21c.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	215575  

Last edited by ogopogo; 09-24-2013 at 08:24 AM.
ogopogo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
ogopogo
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
FrSky Horus 12S

Re: Thanks Thunder Power - Sebart Pilatus PC-21

Back to the field last night for the maiden. taxied the strip a couple of times and lifted on second pass for 15 feet or so. The 16" prop is a bit of a lawnmower on this so I may have to experiment with 15". I would love a 5-blade scale prop for this reason. The Pilatus is eager to lift off and with power, the attitude changes quickly. Lawn mowing was not an issue after taxiing. Two rock steady circuits later I was down but I bled off speed too quickly and instead of flaring, dropped to the grass. I managed to damage one of the struts. If you look at pic1, you will note how small the wheel is for the wheel-well. This assembly is from Freewing and I have to assume it was the best readily-available fit.As the centre of the hub is not centre of the well, it is not a simple case of replacing the wheel. I have a full set of struts and wheels that I believe I purchased from Phil at PWRC. They are very close as you see in pic 2. I need to extend the trunion shaft a little for sturdy mounting and insert a stand-off to cover the gap. Maybe tonight will allow a test of these .....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gear3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	215620   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear4.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1,011.4 KB
ID:	215621  
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
ogopogo
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
FrSky Horus 12S

Re: Thanks Thunder Power - Sebart Pilatus PC-21

Well, that was a lot of grass on the wings to clean! Al has run his calc program and suggests I can drop to 15x10. That I will try Saturday. While checking the options, I found an article in the UK about a Varioprop on this bird. His is pictured below. I would like to find one to try but can't really justify new price in hopes that I like it. It certainly ads to the scale look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pilatus vario.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	215742  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in