OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Unusual/amusing flying stories

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Anyone for sharing stories about odd or amusing things that have happened to them while flying? Hopefully without decending into the insurance/safety debate.

I will start with this one:

I was flying off of the slough in the pasture behind the house with my son-in-law James with an electric Senorita on floats. The wind was really too high for a high wing 3 channel so on the one of the takeoff's I got it a little cross wind & it turned turtle on me.
So there it was floating upside down & drifting across the pond tail first with the wind!
James headed over to about where it should drift up on shore keeping his eyes on where he was walking to avoid the "fertilizer" & gopher holes.
Meanwhile the wing tip caught a tuft of grass, spun the plane around till the tail was now upwind & a stronger gust of wind got under the tail feathers & popped it back up on the floats! I did a test blip on the throttle, a wiggle on the controls & all seemed Ok so pinned it & took off!
James reached the point of retrieval, looked for the plane & saw - nothing! He yelled "Where is it?" & I pointed up to where it was circling about 300 ft overhead!
Talk about suprised! I still have to laugh when I remember the look on his face!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
stardustertoo
RCC Contributor

I am: Ron H.
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 7
Re: Unusual/amusing flying stories

I'll add one, it is control line though, not R/C. You may even remember this one Merv, maybe....that ole' brain of yours does have some wear and tear on it

Quite a few years back a friend had 2 old .35 size Flite Streak c/l stunt airplanes. We used to have fun with them by me flying one, him the other, in the same circle....ala racing or combat. Then, just for kicks, he would go upside down and high, and I would stay right side up and low, so we were both going the opposite direction in the circle. The one day, I got a little bit too low and contacted the ground, not hard enough to damage anything, but enough that the prop hit the dirt and killed the engine. It bounced up again, and with the dead engine I set it up for a landing. Just as I was about to flair and land, the engine....all on its own....started back up again and away we went!!!

Still do not know how that engine started up again all on its own, it was dead for more than long enough to have cooled the plug down.
stardustertoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
grosbeak
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FGS
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 25

While I was learning last year, doing circuits, I made the mistake of taking my eyes off the plane to look at the timer on the transmitter. When I looked up again the plane was just descending behind the tallest tree in the woods across the field. I don't know if it was good luck, good reflexes or divine intervention - or some combination of the three - but I was in time to get it climbing again.

A few folks at the flying school witnessed the event and were sure the plane was a goner. I learned a valuable (and thankfully not expensive) lesson that day.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Here is another control line one you will remember Ron.

Dale Hunter had come down to our field to test fly a new CL combat bird. We set up, pull tested & started her up. Then I proceeded to give him the worst launch ever with the plane cutting across the circle almost directly toward him! He backed up & waited for the lines to tighten & when they did it took him completely by suprise & yanked the control handle right out of his hand!

I expected the plane to make a wing over & face plant right into the dirt but no, it continued flat & level in a huge circle with the lines & control handle spinning around with it! Round & round it went, slowly gaining altitude and drifting north an the breeze toward the graveyard! (go figure!)

Over the fence we go in pursuit, me laughing at the sight of a "freeflight" control line & Dale calling me a lot of things of which only "Puttz" is apropriate here! Finally it disappeared into the low cloud cover & all we could do was stand & listen till it ran out of fuel!

And quit it finally did. Down it came out of the clouds, still circling but in a much larger, slower arc now!

We found it hung up in the buckbrush 1 km north of the field with the vertical stab knocked off & the lines tangled & knotted beyond salvage!

1/2 hour & new lines later it was back in the air & flew fine even without the fin!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

I was wondering how long until somebody had a "Dale Hunter" inclusive story.

I'll subcribe.
-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
stardustertoo
RCC Contributor

I am: Ron H.
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Quote:
Here is another control line one you will remember Ron.
Yup, I do remember that story. I have said ever since then that I wished I could have been there to see that one.

Dale, you would know the other guy invlolved in my story, a fella by the name of John B. from Red Deer
stardustertoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Hunter View Post
I'll subcribe.-Dale-
I think you can do better than just subscribe Dale! Three more stories come to mind off hand but it would be better if you told them!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustertoo View Post

Dale, you would know the other guy invlolved in my story, a fella by the name of John B. from Red Deer
Yes, I know John. Kind of took a liking to his sister Anne-marie in Air Cadets.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Talking Re: Unusual/amusing flying stories

This happened about 20 or so years ago. A couple of new guys at the club brought out a new plane to fly. Fired it up, carried it to the runway and gave it full throttle. It went like hell... backwards. After checking everything over they tried again with the same result. After we all stopped laughing I suggested maybe they had a "pusher " prop on it (something they never heard of). Sure enough that was it..... John
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Anyone for sharing stories about odd or amusing things that have happened to them while flying? Hopefully without decending into the insurance/safety debate.
Well,,,,, with that disclamer my memory might find a few.

Many years ago, when Mrs Hunter was not yet Mrs Hunter. We were invited to a fellow modeller's ranch for a BBQ. Young and competitive, we get out the high wing trainer types. Mine, and his wifes. O.K. "Take off, over the powerline, back under the powerline accross the yard around the T.V. tower back through the yard under the line back over the line land in the lane. Another beer, the girls were sitting on the deck, my sweetie is dumber than your husband. Another beer, flip the steaks, try again, until our host clipped the line with the vertical fin of his dear (very quiet) wifes Seniorita!
Is it O.K. to say I won?

Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in